Aaron got a daily (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NMBound

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought a daily driver after a few months of searching. It's not what I wanted, but it really fits the bill as far as I'm concerned.

I was looking for a 90s (6th gen) Toyota Celica in a 5 speed manual, or a 00-04 (7th gen) Celica GT-S in 6 speed. Couldn't find one in New Mexico that wasn't a total junker. Most GT-S are driven to hell due to the 9k RPM redline and cam lift at 6k rpm. It would have been a project.

The used market is pretty high right now. People need cash badly, and more people are buying $2,000-$5,000 used cars for themselves. I missed out on several vehicles because it sold during the day I took to think about it.

We sold Sarai's automatic Scion XD back in January to a family for their 15 yo daughter. Today I bought another one, manual, with bells and whistles. It runs like a champ so far with the Corolla 2ZR-Fe engine making around 135 HP. It was owned by a carguy and photographer in Albuquerque as the 2nd owner. If you can buy a carguy's baby, I recommend it.

Shout out to Dennis for being willing to lend me his trailer to get what I needed out of state! Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Here she is:
08 Scion XD
139,xxx
5 speed manual
Tein 2" lowering springs
16" Drag DR-31 wheels in Rally Bronze
Strup axleback exhaust
DC Sports CAI
Color-match long wing
Color-match rain guards
Factory stereo upgrade
CLEAN

I am going to get pulled over a lot in AZ. It needs a radar detector immediately.

Screenshot_20200910-220553_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200910-013735_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200910-220609_Facebook.jpg

And this is very much what I intend to do with it:

38828282.jpg

maxresdefault-2.jpg

Last edited:
I see a list of parts that make it look and sound better but I think it needs more parts that actually make it go faster.

I see a list of parts that make it look and sound better but I think it needs more parts that actually make it go faster.

Yes, that's what the car came with. I'd say a 2.2" drop in center of gravity allows me to take the Big I at 68 mph while I go around everyone. With a quality cold intake and exhaust, I will install the DC Sports performance header in a few months. That's the most I plan to do to a 140k mile engine until I know more about it. I'm more concerned with handling, high quality spark plugs and coil packs, battery, Valvoline, 91 Octane, and a modest tune.

Last edited:
The subject of cold intake in the world of Too Fast Too Furious is an amusing topic to me. Anything that sucks air from inside the engine bay can't be cold air. If you're sucking in fresh air from the front of the vehicle, or from the lower air valance or from a snorkel, then I can buy the concept of "cold air". Along the same line of thinking, the concept of "high flow" air filter is also dumb to me. If your air filter is letting in "more" air, then it's not filtering the air, in another words, it's not cleaning the air. So, you're letting in dirty air for the sake of "perceived" hp increase 🙄 while slowly destroying the combustion chamber. I think the Bob the oil guy or some diesel engine website did a lab test on the various air filter and I seem to recall that a simple AC Delco paper air filter had the best filtration with the least amount of pressure drop across the paper media.

Don't even get me started on the fart can exhaust these cars install :rofl:

The subject of cold intake in the world of Too Fast Too Furious is an amusing topic to me. Anything that sucks air from inside the engine bay can't be cold air. If you're sucking in fresh air from the front of the vehicle, or from the lower air valance or from a snorkel, then I can buy the concept of "cold air". Along the same line of thinking, the concept of "high flow" air filter is also dumb to me. If your air filter is letting in "more" air, then it's not filtering the air, in another words, it's not cleaning the air. So, you're letting in dirty air for the sake of "perceived" hp increase 🙄 while slowly destroying the combustion chamber. I think the Bob the oil guy or some diesel engine website did a lab test on the various air filter and I seem to recall that a simple AC Delco paper air filter had the best filtration with the least amount of pressure drop across the paper media.

Don't even get me started on the fart can exhaust these cars install :rofl:

This intake is taking in fresh air from outside of the engine bay. If it doesn't take air from below the engine bay, it's called a short ram intake and nobody pretends it is cold air. Can you buy the concept of air being more dense with oxygen when the temperature is lower?

Or, perhaps, some actual data from a dynograph with a Scion iQ:

Don't worry, I won't get you started. Nobody is putting a Magnaflow on a 4 cylinder and stock exhausts are too restrictive. Some of them sound bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom