Builds A pig out of hand is worth 2... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was thinking of a woodie fj55, you know, replace all the rust with wood! The wooden pig... Not really. I really want to get out of the shop, it is the source of the majority of the headaches and stress in my life. I want to get back to working on cars for fun not because I have to. It will be a bummer to loose all the bigger equipment and especially the lift. It just puts the pressure on to get it rolling!

Last edited:
Wait a minute abqcruiser, you still have the LV45 to do. I have a rotisserie for the body you can use.
Is this an offer to me or adqcruiser? If it is for me, thanks! If only I were closer I would take you up on it. I think between shipping and time I will end up spending less making my own. Not that I have the time

Figured I better start doing something! Made a diagnal brace to bolt on the frame where the old steering pivot bolted.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Continued stripping the cab. Spent a while with the impact driver breaking Phillips bits. Finally got the cover off the tailgate torsion bar, lots of rust under there!
image.jpeg

Have been moving parts out of the shop... Good lord! This is load number 3 and there is still more!
image.jpeg

Takes a lot of parts to make a car. In my defense, it is fj55 and fj60 parts car stuff as well as new parts slowly purchased over the years (I can say years now).

Cut the rear cross member out as it was cracked (see pic in the next post) plan is to do something like the Slow 71, that is a bit more substantial for a tow hitch.
Finished sand blasting, pressure washed and painted the frame. Used a product called Chassis Saver which I like a lot. It brushes on and looks great. I'll post pics in a bit.

Last edited:
Frame looks good! Chassis Saver was used on my frame also, really hard stuff. I found out other products don't like to stick to it.

It's 2:00 am. Just finished the final push to clean out the shop and tow the pig home. Worked but so excited to have it home. Here is a pic leaving the shop:
image.jpeg

I'll give you all the story tomorrow after I sleep:)

So yesterday the plan was to rebuild the front axle so I could put the front wheels on, so that I could get it on the dolly, so that I could tow it home. I planned on this taking all night. I really wanted to get cleared out of the auto shop so that was not hanging over my head. Well on the way to the shop I was taking mental invintory and there were two things missing. I needed brake rotors and a diff gasket. So no one stocks the rotors and the diff gasket is NA. They all say use silicone but that seems like it would put the diff off center of the axle. I briefly looked and was surprised that Marlin crawlers does not have the gasket... What do people normally do? So I decided I would just put the knockles and spindles on using the old bearings but I was missing the knuckle bearings... In stead of making another trip for the cab I just bolted it back on the frame to get it home. I'll have to take it off again to repair rust and paint but... So that is the story with the silly tow setup.

IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG
I have been swamped with life and the cruiser is under cover but open to the elements. I decided a bandaid was in order. I stared to primer any rust or bare metal. I fully realize I will have to remove this later but I hope by doing this I will be keeping metal from turning to rust:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom