Builds A pig out of hand is worth 2... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just joined the group as I am the proud owner of a 1973 fj55! Lucked out as it was not advertised anywhere and I just stumbled upon it. I would say minimal rust for a pig and it runs and drives. I can already feel it pulling money out of my account.

image-4178108296.jpg

more pics....looks like a decent start. Congrats!

pm me your addy- I have the side vent covers you seem to be missing

About those side vent covers... Did they make some that actually vent or do the vents no longer vent once the covers are in place?

Yeah about those latches... Seems a bit redundant. Release on the dash, safety catch inter the hood and two latches on the outside. Something is going to go because I have a feeling I'll be under the hood a lot!

Yeah about those latches... Seems a bit redundant. Release on the dash, safety catch inter the hood and two latches on the outside. Something is going to go because I have a feeling I'll be under the hood a lot!

Hey, they beat my ratchet strap...... Haha.

Make sure the hood is actually securing. Those may be a result of a POs experience. Hard to say.

About those side vent covers... Did they make some that actually vent or do the vents no longer vent once the covers are in place?

Yes, some vents actually vent.

Those outside latches are not stock for a 55...

factory pto and a clean body...nice score!:cheers:

Priorities are to get it reliable and stop the rust and then... Diesel is really tempting. I really just want a clean stock rig with some nice modern upgrades that don't stand out.

Found it for sale just outside of Ukiah (north of San Francisco about 2 hours). Literally 5 minutes from my house! I have been looking for one for about a year, scouring the Internet nightly. Crazy to just stumble upon it.

Updates

As some of you have noticed I was playing with the idea of selling my pig. Funny thing is that the longer it sets in my drive the more I want to keep it! So did some thinking (with beer) and have decided that she is a keeper. With that out of the way, I have been doing what I can to make it as drivable as possible. I rebuilt the carb (best $35 ever!), rebuilt the center steering arm, and changed the thermostat. Next was some cosmetic stuff: removed the PTO winch (trying to sell!) and other excess crap on the front bumper. Painted the grill. Started pulling out the shredded headliner. Found one of my spark plugs was cracked in the insulator and was arcing to the head. Replaced it and she runs mighty fine.

Have really been enjoying driving it until a tire cracked on the sidewall on the way to work. The tires were old and I knew they needed replacing but I was hoping to get a season out of them... So had to buy tires! It amazes me how tires can make such a difference in appearance. Bought so AT's from the Tire Rack. I am an auto shop teacher and have a tire machine and balancer at my disposal. They ended up being impossible the bead on the rims. I'll post a video of how I actually got them on in a bit. Took about 5 hours to mount the 4 tires :bang: Also noticed a leaking wheel cylinder: rebuilt that and replaced the shoes. Adjusted all the brakes.

After all that, the pig is looking good in the new shoes and I love looking out the window at it in the drive. Thanks to all in the pig sty for being so cool and helpful, you guys and gals are the reason that I am not selling. Here is a before and after with new tires.

IMG_3680.jpg

DSC_3626.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom