Builds A pig for Father's Day (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree the belt is too narrow. Gates makes a wider variety that fit the Cruiser pulleys better. I think it's their truck or heavy duty line. You can download the entire gates catalog to get the specs and correct size Gates catalog

If it's squealing only when the clutch kicks on, it's not your clutch and my first trouble shooting would be to put the correct width belt on and try it. If you still get the squealing with the correct width belt, then it could be your compressor going bad. Just be sure that belt is tight first!

I agree the belt is too narrow. Gates makes a wider variety that fit the Cruiser pulleys better. I think it's their truck or heavy duty line. You can download the entire gates catalog to get the specs and correct size Gates catalog

If it's squealing only when the clutch kicks on, it's not your clutch and my first trouble shooting would be to put the correct width belt on and try it. If you still get the squealing with the correct width belt, then it could be your compressor going bad. Just be sure that belt is tight first!

Thanks. I saw the truck line in their online catalog. Kinda hard to search by size but I'm sure there's a method to the madness.

Kinda hard to search by size but I'm sure there's a method to the madness.
contractingbusiness_3846_cutaway_belts1_2_copy.png

Thanks @J Mack. I ordered two new Gate's Truck belts this morning. The belts that are on the pig are 0.48" wide, 0.36" deep, and have a 37 degree angle. The belts I ordered are 0.59" wide, 0.43" thick with a 40 degree angle. The truck belts are listed as an alternative belt in the Gate's catalog for my LC so I assume they will run OK. I just had to search through until I found the right lengths as the OEM lengths listed won't work with my "no air pump, A/C added" configuration. Not as difficult as I implied earlier. Thought I would replace the water pump belt too as long as I was in there.

Thanks @J Mack.
You are welcome, you posted your reply before I added to info above.
The wider belts should work, the PDF I posted shows what the belt should look like when it rides on your pulley.

It looks like you have the wrong belt to me.

I agree. Gates does list both sizes as OEM replacements. Not sure what width and depth the OEM Toyota belts are. Would be interesting to compare.

Well it took me three tries to get the right belt length. I replaced both belts while I was at it and both were too short and then too long. Finally got the right length but they were a bit of a pain to install. Had to remove the idle pulley to get the water pump belt on and had to pull the alternator to get the A/C / Alternator belt on. Regardless they look a lot better than what I removed and no squealing now when the A/C compressor engages.

I did use the Gates heavy duty truck and bus belts. They seem to be the right size for the pulleys.

F7D80D87-5348-458B-9A28-BFFFD6C9DD4E.jpeg

So my pig has been squealing worse than Ned Beatty having a bad day when the A/C compressor kicks in. It doesn't happen all the time but has quickly gone from some of the time to most of the time. In addition, there is a very high frequency sound when driving at speed some of the time. I'm not sure if the two noises are related but have speculated that maybe the A/C clutch is starting to go? The pig squeal sound is definitely coming from the belt slipping on the A/C pulley as I have witnessed that. I haven't tracked down the source of the higher pitched sound.

So the new belts solved the Ned Beatty impersonator squeal but not the high pitched whine. Going to be hard to diagnose as I can't seem to replicate the noise when the pig is not moving. It's very high frequency and just loud enough to be annoying. Very intermittent but normally manifests above 45 mph when holding speed with the gas. It will immediately go away if you let off the gas or accelerate. Assume it's somewhat RPM related but also appears to be load related as too little or too much load and it goes away. And then sometimes it goes away for long periods at all speeds.

I inspected the idler pulley when I had it out and there didn't seem to be any play in the bearing but I'm far from an expert. I also played with the Alternator and A/C compressor pulleys but they seem to have no axial or lateral play in them either. I would think that it has to be either the water pump (seems doubtful), or one of the other spinning components. I know almost nothing about fans and fan clutches....maybe something I should check?

When all else fails, I throw money at it until the problem goes away. If you think it's coming from the front of the motor replace those parts, at the least you'll have all new parts and not have to worry about them for a long while. Maybe you'll get lucky and you find the problem. Sounds like it could be a bearing starting to fail.

EDIT....Do you have an air pump on yours, maybe the bearing in that. If I remember right my 76 FJ40 had an air pump that started to squeal then lock up.

Last edited:
When all else fails, I throw money at it until the problem goes away. If you think it's coming from the front of the motor replace those parts, at the least you'll have all new parts and not have to worry about them for a long while. Maybe you'll get lucky and you find the problem. Sounds like it could be a bearing starting to fail.

EDIT....Do you have an air pump on yours, maybe the bearing in that. If I remember right my 76 FJ40 had an air pump that started to squeal then lock up.

No air pump. Engine was desmogged by Trollhole if I understand correctly from the PO. Not sure what parts I would replace. Alternator just came from FJ60Cam and A/C compressor is only a couple of years old. I guess I could replace the water pump or the idler pulley. I'm only driving locally right now so my current thought is to either get lucky and can get it to whine while the pig is sitting still or drive it until something fails. In the meantime I'm keeping the radio turned up pretty loud. :D

Edit: so in looking at the standard 2F belt configurations, I now realize that the air pump was replaced by an idler pulley of similar diameter I assume of the air pump pulley. Not that it makes that much difference but I would have to figure out what I have to replace it. I know the bolts are metric so maybe it's off a Toyota of some kind. I guess I had assumed that the air pump was simply removed and the idler pulley was there all along. Shows you just how little I know about these engines.

Last edited:
Going to be hard to diagnose as I can't seem to replicate the noise when the pig is not moving. It's very high frequency and just loud enough to be annoying. Very intermittent but normally manifests above 45 mph when holding speed with the gas. It will immediately go away if you let off the gas or accelerate.
Sounds like you are describing a transfer case gear noise to me.

Sounds like you are describing a transfer case gear noise to me.

Maybe although I would have thought that would be lower frequency. Also seems to be coming directly from the engine bay about dash high but of course that's a very imprecise observation. I might try to get an audio of it to post.

Got the four door handle plunger gaskets installed; thanks again @PabloCruise ! Also replaced the rear passenger, bottom hinge that was missing the spring; thanks @Pigeaten ! Man I'm building up some serious debts on this site which started when @J Mack sent me a rear window motor within the first few weeks that I owned my 55. Very generous and sincerely helpful group. :cheers: to all of you.

While removing the center pillar trim (I think Toyota calls it a garnish) to get to the hinge bolts, I had to remove a small clip about halfway between the hinges which obviously had something to do with seat belts at some point. I found this info on ToyoDIY:

73171ABASE, FRONT SEAT SHOULDER BELT
71897-903522
73171BGUIDE, FRONT SEAT SHOULDER BELT
71898-90352FOR RH.1
71899-90352FOR LH.1
73171CSNAP (FOR FRONT SEAT SHOULDER BELT)
69377-300202

And here is a photo of the Driver's side one taken from front to back. Anyone still have the guides in use or know what one looks like? Just curious.

610704C0-85F6-49B6-9740-C88AE32E4AE3.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom