Builds A pig for Father's Day (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I edited post 274 as I had posted incorrect information. This fabricated assembly will go in the 55 bumper with some persuasion and the 40 bumper and the 55 bumpers have the same part number. I think I knew that a year ago when I first contemplated using this assembly but had subsequently forgotten when it appeared the piece wouldn't fit. Having said all that, it still won't work for a 55 without modification due to differences in how the bumpers mount. And it won't work even with modification without a frame extension or someway to push the bumper out.

I pulled the bumper again yesterday and tried to put the winch about level with where I would want it mounted. The feet are still in front of the bumper and if you want a bit of clearance between the body and the winch you would probably want the feet about 2" in front of the bumper. It's not obvious or trivial how one would do that and have a strong enough mount that it wouldn't fold in half during a hard pull. I'm sure it can be done but you would need to cut this bumper up or install some type of frame extension.

I think for now I will move on to other projects and circle back to this one in due course. Appreciate everyone's input thus far.

Edit: Actually looking at this photo, if one were to be OK with the bumper more or less as shown in the photo below, you could use use the same assembly that I purchased but wider (to the end of the frame Stays - as labeled on the parts diagram). The assembly would then need additional metal to bolt to the frame rail and the Stays. In other words, build the frame rail extension into the bumper/winch support. That could even be fabricated with gussets. Something to think about.

B45FA8DF-2DDD-4541-8DCD-CCC5C2C051F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful info. This is what I have going on, maybe it will help you decide which route to go.

I bought these extensions from @TRAIL TAILOR a while back and re-fabbed them a couple of weeks ago to fit my 55. These extend the frame rail 5 1/2". Back in 1979 when the dealer installed the 8274 winch for the original owner they used a piece of flat plate steel top and bottom to extend the bumper out. This worked, but left the winch so close to the apron, it was rubbing. It also didn't look great.
IMG-0891.jpg

These new extensions look much better, are stonger and will give me a little over an inch clearance when installed. I plan to weld in a channel between the rail extensions inside the stock bumper that I can weld the mounting plate to. Unless I decide to just bite the bullet and pay someone to replicate the stock bumper out of thicker steel to handle the forces of the winch. Stock bumper is too thin.
IMG-0893.jpg

I prefer the look of the bumper back in the stock position, but I'd like to keep the 8274 winch purchased with the cruiser back in '79 with the truck. I didn't like how the extension was done back then so this is what I'm ending up with. I did have to remove those side gussets to get these extensions to work. Considering putting them back on to the extensions for additional support.
IMG-0894.jpg

@residualboulders that's very helpful. 5 1/2" sounds about right. As I said above, the only way to keep the stock bumper in place would be to cut out the middle and figure out a way to adequately brace and mount the winch. Even then the winch feet would have to be around 2" in front of the bumper.

@residualboulders that's very helpful. 5 1/2" sounds about right. As I said above, the only way to keep the stock bumper in place would be to cut out the middle and figure out a way to adequately brace and mount the winch. Even then the winch feet would have to be around 2" in front of the bumper.

I've thought about cutting the extension back an inch to keep it a bit more snug, but since it has that angle in it i probably won't.

yours is nice and snug @fj55-100. What part of UT are you in?

at this point i could do a months worth on what i need to do to my pig today . it is just further down the list .. still need to install new radiator that i got in july of last year . the premier power welder alt ,that went out last pp19 . and i am Way over due on a timing belt

at this point i could do a months worth on what i need to do to my pig today . it is just further down the list .. still need to install new radiator that i got in july of last year . the premier power welder alt ,that went out last pp19 . and i am Way over due on a timing belt

I’ll come visit soon and help pull the rope out and we’ll wind it back in nice and spiffy.

I’ll come visit soon and help pull the rope out and we’ll wind it back in nice and spiffy.

I'll help at the next Pig Party. Seems I've needed a pull two out of three so far!

My filter element gaskets were in good shape and I reused them. The air filter lid gasket and the rubber grommets that serve as vibration dampeners where the air filter assembly is bolted (4 places total) were not. I used the following two parts from McMaster Carr and they both worked very well.

Edit: If anybody wants some of the grommets just let me know and I'll send them your way. I have plenty!

I could use some for the 40 air cleaner! PM incoming...

Pulled the front bumper yesterday. The bumper Reinforcement/winch mount plate that I bought will not go all the way in the bumper. He builds these for 40 bumpers and I naively assumed the 40 and 55 bumpers had the same profile which is clearly wrong. Probably needs to be at least 1/4” smaller.

Edit: I really hate it when I put out misinformation and feel compelled to correct it. I had a conversation with the gentlemen that fabricated the bumper reinforcement and winch mounting assembly. He agrees that it won't work for a 55 without some modification. However, during our conversation we both noticed that the bumper part number for the 40 and 55 are the same. I pulled the bumper again and think with a bit of persuasion the assembly would seat. It's about 1/2" shallower than the 55 bumper so it doesn't need to go all the way in.

As someone posted earlier, the winch will probably clear without frame extensions if the feet are more or less lined up with the front of the bumper and not the back. I want the bumper to look more or less stock and I want it tight and low so will likely go custom built. I don’t really want to cut my bumper up but could eventually go that way as well.

Just a couple photos for posterity.

View attachment 2294857

View attachment 2294858

Are you trying to make the factory bumper work? If not, I have an old 55 front bumper creation aging in my garage...

Are you trying to make the factory bumper work? If not, I have an old 55 front bumper creation aging in my garage...

Thanks but, yes; trying to stay with the factory bumper if possible. Probably something I'll let simmer on the back burner for a while.

Did you look at @scrapdaddy customization on his facto ry bumper Ayuh 😉🤔

I've read his thread once and parts twice. I'll have to go back and look again as I don't recall. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom