Builds A pig for Father's Day (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While removing the center pillar trim (I think Toyota calls it a garnish) to get to the hinge bolts, I had to remove a small clip about halfway between the hinges which obviously had something to do with seat belts at some point. I found this info on ToyoDIY:

73171ABASE, FRONT SEAT SHOULDER BELT
71897-903522
73171BGUIDE, FRONT SEAT SHOULDER BELT
71898-90352FOR RH.1
71899-90352FOR LH.1
73171CSNAP (FOR FRONT SEAT SHOULDER BELT)
69377-300202

And here is a photo of the Driver's side one taken from front to back. Anyone still have the guides in use or know what one looks like? Just curious.

I cannot see your photo...

I cannot see your photo...

That's because you were too dang fast. I often type on my laptop and then edit from my phone or ipad to add photos. I find that easier than a) typing on the phone or b) emailing photos to myself.

No promises but I will try to make this the last question of the day. Especially since I have been multi-tasking today and have these pork butts waiting on the family. 6 hours; need about 2 more to get to 190F.

In deference to @J Mack 's suggestion that the whine could be transfer case and since I have seen some very minor leakage from the area of the transfer case drain plug, I decided to check my transfer case oil level. What should have been simple became a bit less so when I discovered that the transmission and transfer case fill plugs have been discarded for an interconnecting hose assembly. So I'm guessing this could have been done by Trollhole during the PO's tenure but what is the advantage of doing this modification? Still haven't checked the fluid levels. Too late in the day and butts and beer are calling.

DA71AD37-CB23-4867-AC05-3D1F413AEB44.jpeg

BEBD8CD1-5BA6-47D3-9B30-980A18B83470.jpeg

the transmission and transfer case fill plugs have been discarded for an interconnecting hose assembly. So I'm guessing this could have been done by Trollhole during the PO's tenure but what is the advantage of doing this modification?
I’m not sure how it would work running up and over like that but guys will run that line to equalize the oil level when the seal between the transfer case and transmission goes bad.

I’m not sure how it would work running up and over like that but guys will run that line to equalize the oil level when the seal between the transfer case and transmission goes bad.

Thanks Jim. I thought it might be a work around for a bad seal. Looks to me that the transfer case would be 100% full to get that fluid to go over the "hill" so to speak. I might have to just address all those seals and restore to OEM configuration. I hate a leak.

I thought it might be a work around for a bad seal.
It's a Toyota thing, not sure I completely understand why but I do know it's a thing.

Looks to me that the transfer case would be 100% full to get that fluid to go over the "hill" so to speak
Just a thought. If one is over full the other will be close to empty.

I’m guessing the empty one is you noise maker and this would be a good time to drain both cases and put new oil in them, look for excessive metal in the old oil to help you plan your next move.

Just a thought. If one is over full the other will be close to empty.

I’m guessing the empty one is you noise maker and this would be a good time to drain both cases and put new oil in them, look for excessive metal in the old oil to help you plan your next move.

Well it didn't eliminate the whine but you may have saved my transfer case. I disconnected that line from the transmission and as anticipated it was over full. I drained the transfer case and just guessing it was only half full. I didn't measure the quantity but I did look at the oil and the magnetic drain plug closely. Maybe a few tiny particles on the plug but that's all I noticed so hopefully there was no damage to the gears. The whine on the other hand is still there but I'm thinking that it could be drive train related. Maybe a bearing there?

I rerouted the line so that it could actually flow from the transmission to the transfer case and for now have just refilled the transfer case. My rear output seal is leaking on the transfer case so it needs replacing. I might just get all the seals replaced and be done with it.......or hopefully done with it. I really can't stand leaks. Pretty sure this is relatively recent as I hadn't noticed any drips until very recently.

8D2F823C-7D56-495C-A111-D4C09074D320.jpeg

Having a shop, a creeper and a good light has been nice. I haven't really spent much time under my 55 since I bought it a year ago but have spent some time under there inspecting the frame and body the last couple of days. I'm pretty pleased with what I can see. Obviously there are areas to be addressed but the underside looks pretty good and the frame appears to have nothing but surface rust here and there. Of course I might feel entirely different the day I pull the headliner.

I did notice two small brackets on the drivers side just forward of the rear shock that aren't being used. Searched the parts diagrams but couldn't find anything. The holes are threaded and appear to have been used somewhat recently. Maybe part of the original exhaust hanger setup?

EF774B10-3D54-45F5-BF1B-C90A2529AD9C.jpeg

Maybe part of the original exhaust hanger setup?
Mine had a heat shield there.

Good luck tracking down the source of the whine, just as a quick test put your transfer case in 4 high and see if the noise changes at the 45MPH

Last edited:
Mine had a heat shield there.

Good luck tracking down the source of the whine, just as a quick test put your transfer case in 4 high and see if the noise changes and the 45MPH

That makes sense (re: heat shield). I'll try 4H and see what happens.

Good luck tracking down the source of the whine, just as a quick test put your transfer case in 4 high and see if the noise changes at the 45MPH

Well pig didn't like 4H too much. Quite a bit of vibration in the front end. Had the hubs unlocked. Probably hasn't been exercised in some time. Acted like the front drive shaft was out of balance or sync. Probably should check the diff fluid level in the front. I have had it in 4H and 4L but just in a parking lot and at very low speed......once.

I did get it up to about 50 and whine was back. Interesting though, It's 4 miles to the grocery store and I just made back to back trips. No whine on the second return trip until the last 1/4 mile. Odd that it just goes away at times.

U-joints dry? They’ll make some noise too when they’re going out.

On that rear output - I fought leaking seals back there for years, changed out a couple drums, changed seals, etc.. trying to get it to quit. Eventually, I took the seal housing to a machinist and had him increase the depth of the bore to fit two seals. Never had a problem after that.

Georg @orangefj45 stocks the double seal housings and it will eliminate the rear leak in the drum.

The Transmission to transfer case seal is about a $5 seal, but is a PITA to replace. You can do it in the truck by removing the t-case, but you need to be careful putting it back together or risk damaging it again. If you have to do a clutch job that's the best time to replace it when the trans and T case are out.

Georg @orangefj45 stocks the double seal housings and it will eliminate the rear leak in the drum.

The Transmission to transfer case seal is about a $5 seal, but is a PITA to replace. You can do it in the truck by removing the t-case, but you need to be careful putting it back together or risk damaging it again. If you have to do a clutch job that's the best time to replace it when the trans and T case are out.

So do you have to modify the housing as @RUSH55 posted above to use this double seal or does it fit without modification? Thanks.

U-joints dry? They’ll make some noise too when they’re going out.

On that rear output - I fought leaking seals back there for years, changed out a couple drums, changed seals, etc.. trying to get it to quit. Eventually, I took the seal housing to a machinist and had him increase the depth of the bore to fit two seals. Never had a problem after that.

So do you have to modify the housing as @RUSH55 posted above to use this double seal or does it fit without modification? Thanks.

Not 100% certain, but I think the double seal that Marlin stocks can be installed w/o modifying the housing...

Not 100% certain, but I think the double seal that Marlin stocks can be installed w/o modifying the housing...

I used his "heavy" axle seals in my 4Runner and have never done another birfield rebuild since. I'll take a look at his website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom