A little midweek excursion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Polar Bear

Is it supposed to sound like that?
Threads
Does anyone have any information about conditions up around Harrison Lake right now? (snow level, etc). I'm looking to take the family on a little midweek overnighter on thursday night and haven't really explored that area yet.

Anyone have any specific directions (don't know the area yet) on how to find some primitive camping along the lake? I'm on 33's and locked, but don't want to get stranded alone so I'm looking for some lake access that's relatively mellow.

Is there one side of the lake that's better than the other? I'm going in blind here, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone with local knowledge is interested in doing some wheeling near there, it would be cool to meet up on Friday and put down some miles. My plans are to head for home around 5 or 6pm on friday so that should allow some decent time on the trail.:steer:

Thanks,
Mike

I believe the FSR on the west side is now clear all the way to Pemberton, no idea about the east side.

I'd recommend buying a "Backroads Mapbook for South Western BC" once you hit BC, they can be purchased from a variety of retailers and have very accurate and upto date info on the trail systems.

Hi Mike!

Might I suggest Hale Creek? West Side of Harrison, I believe the turnoff is at 29km marker (0 km starts when you hit gravel). Off the right side of the road, it's short 5min drive down to the lake through a bunch of streams and mellow family friendly wheelin. There are two ways down, the 'left side' going down is the 'easy' way, the 'hard' way is the right side but I've made it up and down in my BJ42 on stock wheels, so should be no problem, but the trail changes yearly, so come prepared.

The beach is a beauty spot to camp and there's a very large shelter there now in case the weather is foul.

My work schedule prevents me from coming out mid-week, but there are guys on here that know the area better than I and some can get out mid-week.

Welcome to Canada, eh! :D

More pictures of the Hale beach and shelter here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-bc-coastal-cruisers/504325-hale-creek-shelter-build-3.html

Hale.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mike!

Might I suggest Hale Creek? West Side of Harrison, I believe the turnoff is at 29km marker (0 km starts when you hit gravel). Off the right side of the road, it's short 5min drive down to the lake through a bunch of streams and mellow family friendly wheelin. There are two ways down, the 'left side' going down is the 'easy' way, the 'hard' way is the right side but I've made it up and down in my BJ42 on stock wheels, so should be no problem, but the trail changes yearly, so come prepared.

The beach is a beauty spot to camp and there's a very large shelter there now in case the weather is foul.

My work schedule prevents me from coming out mid-week, but there are guys on here that know the area better than I and some can get out mid-week.

Welcome to Canada, eh! :D

More pictures of the Hale beach and shelter here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-bc-coastal-cruisers/504325-hale-creek-shelter-build-3.html

Thanks much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll likely be there by 3pm if anyone else is looking to get away. I'll be the big guy with the white FZJ80.

Every trip back to Canada always feels like a homecoming for me since I moved to the States 20 something years ago. My wife and kid are itching to see some of the things I've told them about, so its time for an impromptu camping trip.

Thanks again!

I believe the Hail creek turm off is actually about 25km on the west harrison FSR.

Enjoy your trip, I was there last month and both ways in and out are passible for you. There really is no hard or easy way anymore, they are both easy and enjoyable.

Awesome. I'm really looking forward to this. I've got the directions all loaded into the GPS, double checked our papers for customs, and started pawing through my mountains of camping gear.

Now comes the hard part- waiting for Thursday...

road is marked every km 0-80 km starting from the gravel, 80 being the end of the lake (there is a hot spring at the end of the lake up 10 km to the left (sloquet)you have to walk in a block from the camping area ,all doable as of last weekend),23.5km up is hale creek on your right down 3km. just past there 2km?is another short trip to sunrise lake on your left ,only one technical spot called v-rock, can be a challenge for some.

29km, 25km, 23.5km, do I hear 21km?

29km, 25km, 23.5km, do I hear 21km?

How are you coming with the May long weekend trip plans? We voted you in as the "long weekend event planer".

OP wrongway round has the millage nailed. I "searched" and found it on a BC forestry sight.

OP wrongway round has the millage nailed. I "searched" and found it on a BC forestry sight.

Thanks everybody, really appreciate all the advice. So 23.5km it is then. I'll keep my eyeballs peeled. Any landmarks or signage I should look for to indicate it's the correct access?

The hard way comes out under some power lines. Those should be a dead giveaway.

The Sunrise lake turnoff should you feel like checking that out (recommended) is between km marker 24 and 25 on the left. Drive through a small clearing then take the middle fork. It will get rocky when you get back into the trees. There's a sign in the clearing saying something about needing 4-wheel drive.

Enjoy your trip!

Perfect, that should get me there for sure. We intend to check out all the sights you guys mentioned. Should be a fun trip!

And if you don't manage to make it out to the bush on Thursday, you are more than welcome to come to the clubs monthly meeting on the 11th. No kids though, as we are currently in an establishment that frowns on that sort of thing. Oh, and hats too, they frown at those.

And if you don't manage to make it out to the bush on Thursday, you are more than welcome to come to the clubs monthly meeting on the 11th. No kids though, as we are currently in an establishment that frowns on that sort of thing. Oh, and hats too, they frown at those.

Lol thanks, I'll be sure to leave the sombrero at home.

I was going to come out to say hi but I just woke up. I'm having breakfast now, then off to our CC meeting, I guess next time then

Well thank you guys one and all for your advice about Hale Creek! :clap::clap::clap: We had a great time, I just wish we could have stayed longer (I had some long awaited upgrades to install on the cruiser, and a borrowed shop to do them in).

Jason from Cruisin' Offroad had invited us to swing by on the way up there on thursday so he could fill us in on the area and make sure we knew where we were going, but a late start and long construction delays on I-5 prevented us from meeting before he had to leave for the Club meeting.

We found the place without any problem, and had fun running the "hard way" trail. The cruiser handled it without breaking a sweat, but I can see how it might have been far more challenging before all the river rock was dumped on the trail. Best access to a campsite I've ever found!

http://youtu.be/mGbC5n9YIXk

The view of the lake from the shelter was unbelievable. I'd seen the videos of Hale Creek on youtube, but was unprepared for the breathtaking sunset we were treated to. Absolutely perfect location for camping, thanks to everyone who suggested it!

We had planned to explore around the area and try our hand at the sunrise lake trail, but when we were almost back up to the gravel road a loud thumping/clunking noise started up on the front passenger side everytime the suspension would cycle over an obstacle. Once on level ground, I got under the vehicle and started checking for something broken, only to discover I was missing a lugnut :doh:. That wasn't the source of my noise (I jacked up the wheel and made sure the remaining lugs were tight), so further wheeling was cancelled until I could determine if the truck was safe to transport the family home to the states.

When we got back into cell reception I gave Jason a call to see if he had a spare lug nut I could buy off of him. He said sure, just swing on by. We arrived at his shop in Chilliwack, and he graciously offered to troubleshoot the problem and spent the better part of an hour crawling under it and test driving it. Turns out the rubber mount for the sway bar on the passenger side had failed, creating the noise everytime the axle moved.

When I offered to pay him for his time and the lug nut, he refused. What a guy!!! I am in your debt Jason, and the next time we meet I owe you dinner or some of your favorite frosty beverages.:cheers:

After drooling shamelessly over his JDM diesel cruiser that has been dipped in offroad goodness :cool:(you have some serious fabrication talents Jason!), I felt that I had wasted enough of this fine gentleman's day and bid him adieu.

We ended up doing the tourist thing for the rest of the afternoon before heading for home, and it appeared that a good time had been had by all...
[URL="http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/mikedebear/HarrisonLakeHaleCreek034_zps25d19237.jpg"] [/URL]

Woke up this morning and took in a full day of :wrench::wrench::wrench: with my brother in the garage. We managed to knock out a skid plate installation on his Rubicon, 4 new Powerstop rotors and cermamic pads for my 80, carved up a harbor freight winch plate to be mounted on the front of my 80, and re-clocked my new 12K winch to fit for clearance. The wiring and relocation of the winch's solenoid box will have to take place next saturday, as we were both completely bushed after 10 hours...

Excellent! Glad you had a great time! Nice video also! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom