A good addiction(?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
Stumbling upon Facebook marketplace while taking a break from my rants about Trump LOL!! I came across a '94 FJZ80 TRIPLE LOCKED!

Pics showed a clean truck inside and out. Haggled a bit, as it was out of state, he then sweetened the deal by offering shipping on my dime. I bit, and this weekend another Cruiser will be in the fleet. He also threw in a factory bull bar and hitch.

I still need to strip off the ARB stuff off PUR-DIRT, along with the rack and tent to go onto the diesel.

Now here is the question- how difficult would it be to retrofit the lockers on the diesel?

Also, I'll be putting up PUR-DIRT up for sale on here after the 94 gets tagged and registered. Most likely I'll sell it for what I bought it for, FYI.

Last edited:
Not that difficult if your 80 has the factory body harness for the lockers. if it doesn't it still wouldn't be that difficult you would just have to make your own harness

Not that hard really, even if the harness isn't there (it should be as I believe the 91 diesels did come with lockers as an option), but not sure about ones that were sent to Europe. Of course the :banana: rating of a job like that also depends on your own mechanical ability. Do you do all your own work on the cruiser or do you take it somewhere....... I imagine labor costs would be quite high. Something that is a :banana: to someone like Garrett, Ramon, Stan, Darin, etc.... could be a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: to someone else who isn't as mechanically inclined.

Interested in how offering to ship it but you pay for it sweetened the deal? isn't that normal when you buy a car?? lol

Last edited:
But more to the question in the title of thread. If you have to money to support an addiction like cars then it is a good addiction.

Something that is a :banana: to someone like Garrett, Ramon, Stan, Darin, etc.... could be a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: to someone else who isn't as mechanically inclined.

Not sure I'd lump me into that group :)

joey flattered.gif

This is a harness used to make your own locker locker harness

This is a full harness to do the same

There is a thread in the 80 section somewhere on how to wire them yourself as well. Can't tell you the title of the thread, I am sure that a search and some reading will find it.

You first need to figure out if your diesel has the harness or not. If it does there is a thread in the 80s section with a guy who did the retrofit on a 93. If not there is also a thread where someone did it on a 3fe 80.

Moving the axles over is just turning wrenches. I swapped in some air locked axles from a 95 onto my 92. Only other thing to remember is to swap the ebrake cable but im not 100% on a non us spec diesel 80.

Are the axles on the diesel full floater and discs all around? Is the plan to swap those axles back into the FZJ? Is they are SF that would really harm any resale value of the FZJ. Also if the diesel isn't ABS equipped then you have also killed that on the FZJ.

Personally I think you would be miles ahead selling the 3fe rig and using the funds to buy TJM, ARB lockers for the diesel or some Harrops if u want elockers. All are superior to factory lockers.

Then you will have a locked diesel 80 and a factory locked fzj80

Last edited:
I'd say sell the locked axles and use the money to put ARBs or Harrops in you existing axles. I'm biased b/c I had terrible luck with the factory elockers on our '95 80.

I'd say sell the locked axles and use the money to put ARBs or Harrops in you existing axles. I'm biased b/c I had terrible luck with the factory elockers on our '95 80.

But the locked axles are under the truck he is buying

But the locked axles are under the truck he is buying

Yeah, I'm confused about the end goal. DD the (unlocked) new '94 and build the diesel (swapping in the lockers from the 94)?

Yeah, I'm confused about the end goal. DD the (unlocked) new '94 and build the diesel (swapping in the lockers from the 94)?

Yeah I'm with you I wouldn't swap in the non abs possibly SF axles from the HDJ into the FZJ. Id just sell the 92 and use that money on the diesel.

@Ghostrider I

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom