A full weekend of wheelin'. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc

Threads
Baja.jpg

This past weekend was the Tall Corn Cruiser Classic down near Knoxville, Iowa. I was some what involved with the event and took Friday off of work to go down early to set up and pre-run a few trails.

I was the only 80 series there. The majority were FJC's by FAR. I'll throw up some quick pics for now.

I was the impromptu trail leader for the stock (+) class for Saturday and today- which I thought was really funny, since I had no idea where most of the trails went, and I could certainly get into more trouble than the stockers could.

Anyway- I actually had the most fun of the entire event as a trail leader on Saturday. I told Packman73 I'd take a group of stockers down on the trail as long as it was a small group, I said no more than 6 vehicles. Yeah- well... about 14 vehicles later- I was leading a group of 60% FJC's and a couple 40's, a few taco's, one 60, and me through the forests. We ended up on a trail that forced us all to climb a pretty stupid incline. You can see the 4-runner doing the three legged doggy dance at the top of the hill:

asscrack1.jpg

The crux of the climb was the top. The deep passenger side rut combined with the flat top unloaded opposite ends of each axle, sending most (on AT's) scrambling for traction. The only open diff vehicle that made it up was this 40- I think heavy foot combined with the shorter wheelbase helped out.

asscrack2.jpg

asscrack3.jpg

Anyway- we got all the stockers to the top and everyone really seemed to enjoy the climb a LOT. I think they all thought that they couldn't make it, but when we spotted them up and reassured them they did just fine and everyone got a big confidence boost. That was a lot of fun for me. The only folks that had to winch up the hill were the ones running open f/r diffs.

I also got to twist it up a bit. 33's DO rub on the OME heavy suspension. Not much, but a bit.

twisty2.jpg

twisty1.jpg

The only trail I tried that I was denied on- deep, deep rut and a corner about half way up, set my front end pitching way up. I just plain chickened out. I maybe could have made it with a really good spotter- but with the kid sitting shotgun I just had no desire to 'go for it'.

Denied.jpg

denied2.jpg

And what would the Tall Corn Cruiser Classic be without some corn?

tallCORN.jpg

Yeah, I know I'm going to get heat for the next pic. Bite me.

copilot.jpg

Hehehe nothing funnier than a kid eating corn.

I wish I could have made it to either the PMC swap meet or the Rubithon this year.

Next year I guess.

Yeah...what's wrong with the last pic!? That is neat...lucky kid!

Looks like fun. That pic is way funny.

tallCORN.jpg

Yeah...what's wrong with the last pic!?

One guy at the event freaked out when I said I was putting him in the front seat. If one out of say 50 people there freaked, that's about 2%. Just wait. After a few more views someone here will say how I was endangering him and was irresponsible. It's coming. 2% of the population can't be wrong! :)

All kidding aside, I had a really good time. By the end of the first day Leif was yelling " GO GO GO!" way too loud for the interior of a vehicle. Of course, that was only when he wasn't asleep.

DSC01711.jpg

What a great way to bring up a kid!

Doc, Props for bringing your boy up right!!
On the front seat issue, I don't see him being any less safe in the front seat while on the trails. Thanks for sharing the pics!!

Here's couple of vid I put together and as usual, the flash conversion mucks them up a fair bit but oh well.

I had a blast there and it was great meeting you Doc (and the little Doc).
Google Flash Video~
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3312183105830203708&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=794201658171820330

Here, the quality on that last google vid bites, so RIGHT CLICK, SAVE AS the following link to download a clearer version, it's just over a 100 meg, no prob for you fast internet people! http://www.bubendorfer.org/Downloads/TCCC_02.mpg

This years Toyota Tall Corn Event - officially redesignated as The Tall Corn Cruiser Classic went off without a hitch!

The weather, which was starting to be a huge concern, could not have turned out better! The trail conditions were almost perfect. Moist enough to maximize traction and minimize dust, dry enough not to be greasy and messy. The presence of ANY mud is more than I would prefer - I HATE MUD (... .com) but I can't complain too much about that. Absolutely gorgeous weather - perfect for wheeling!

Everyone that I talked to had a great time. We had a great turn out. In 2005 we had 9 rigs. Last year I think we had 16. This year I think that I heard the final count was 34. I had a great time, and I hope I'm able to make it one more time next year before I head back to SoCal. Anyone who couldn't or didn't make it - really missed out on a great weekend of Toyota wheeling with a great bunch of guys and girls.

Enough of my rambling - Here's the pics!

My group for the weekend consisted mostly of:
Kurt (Renaud33) - '85 4Runner
Me (SAR_Squid79) - '00 Tacoma
Matt (Texan1983) - '87 4Runner
Josh (Jester_Motorsports)- '99 Tacoma
Jeff (Slander) & Ron - '02 Tacoma

KURT:

ME:

MATT:

JOSH:

JEFF:

You can view all of my pics here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/560642802GJnXkH?vhost=community

All of my videos here:
<URL - COMING SOON>

Last edited:
Good pics and vids, Squid. I especially like the pic of the oh, so innocent spooky doggy. :)

Awesome pics..................

Man the ass of that truck in that one pic.:eek:

I'm guessing he means Jeff's Tacoma that looks like it's hanging off a cliff.

It's really too bad were all so fussy and inclusive. We really should learn to turn more folks away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom