A/C Thermostat bypass??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day, has anyone had probs with 78 series A/C cutting in and out? I guess it
has a
thermostat as there seems to be three settings in the dial around the fan
switch. I was hoping
to fit a switch to bypass this to make it run continuously. The A/C doesn't get
much use in
Vic but on hot days like we've had this week it shuts off for 5 to 10 mins
sometimes.
Can anyone tell me where the thermostat is located?
Thanks
Stu

Hi Stu I think the thermostat is called a thermistor and is on the evaporator behind the glove box.:D

IMO you would be better off taking it to someone who knows these things and having it fixed rather than bypassing.
Probably cheaper than you think.;)
Ive put a new compressor and had the system on mine regassed and its icy cold.

I would also give the condenser in front of your radiator a good clean after swimming through the mud. If its blocked with mud it wont be able to lose heat.

I dont have 3 settings on mine ,its variable. Are you sure they are not fan speeds?

stoo said:
has a
switch. I was hoping
much use in
sometimes.
Thanks
Stu
The aircon is suposed to cycle once it reaches its setting. However there is not much info here to go on,does it actually stop blowing cold air in the off cycle? Unless it it not used regularly the seals in the compressor will go hard and leak gas, then the low pressure unit will shut it down.If the tx valve is faulty the receiver unit under the dash can ice up and this will not allow cold air to pass through either.On the 75 series the heater tap can remain partly on and make it difficult for the aircon.Really need a bit more info.Also check your condensor as Ross said in front of the radiator,while doing this look at the sight glass in the filter in the front of it , too many bubbles passing through will show it needs regassing. If low on gass it will run and cycle correctly until become very hot then it will run but will not deliver cold air.:cheers:

roscoFJ73 said:
Hi Stu I think the thermostat is called a thermistor and is on the evaporator behind the glove box.:D

IMO you would be better off taking it to someone who knows these things and having it fixed rather than bypassing.
Probably cheaper than you think.;)
Ive put a new compressor and had the system on mine regassed and its icy cold.

I would also give the condenser in front of your radiator a good clean after swimming through the mud. If its blocked with mud it wont be able to lose heat.

I dont have 3 settings on mine ,its variable. Are you sure they are not fan speeds?
The Troopy has only done 50,000km and is a year old so I hadn't really considered that it may need a re-gas. I'll have a geezer in behind the glove box as it's so easy to take out.
I have been in a bit of mud this year, I'll check the Conderser as well but I doubt that's the prob as when it's running it is extremely cold air coming out, but it just cuts out for 5-10mins, then works for another 5-10 mins.
Around the fan switch is another dial which as you say is variable, there are no setting clicks but there seems to be 3 points where it'll start the compressor, not sure about that one.
Anyway, thanks for the help.
Stu

bigbrowndog said:
The aircon is suposed to cycle once it reaches its setting. However there is not much info here to go on,does it actually stop blowing cold air in the off cycle? Unless it it not used regularly the seals in the compressor will go hard and leak gas, then the low pressure unit will shut it down.If the tx valve is faulty the receiver unit under the dash can ice up and this will not allow cold air to pass through either.On the 75 series the heater tap can remain partly on and make it difficult for the aircon.Really need a bit more info.Also check your condensor as Ross said in front of the radiator,while doing this look at the sight glass in the filter in the front of it , too many bubbles passing through will show it needs regassing. If low on gass it will run and cycle correctly until become very hot then it will run but will not deliver cold air.:cheers:
It cools for 5-10 mins then rests for 5-10 mins, putting up with the hot 5-mins on a hot day is most annoying.
It gets a run in winter sometimes to de-fog the screen and every week in Summer as I'm aware of the need to use them regularly. The heater tap is OK, no worries there.
Thanks for the help
Stu

Stu ,If you really want to mess with the aircon you need the factory manual.
It has an extensive troubleshooting guide for the aircon.
It also lists the problems in the most likely order and the thermistor is ranked
5th.

roscoFJ73 said:
Stu ,If you really want to mess with the aircon you need the factory manual.
It has an extensive troubleshooting guide for the aircon.
It also lists the problems in the most likely order and the thermistor is ranked
5th.
That'll come in real handy when the warranty runs out, I'll buy one if I can find one as I'll be keeping the troopy for a while.
I'll hassle the dealer next service but I'd be surprised if they'd solve that prob under warranty.
Thanks
Stu

stoo said:
has a
switch. I was hoping
much use in
sometimes.
Thanks
Stu

i dont know how warm it is in Australia, but here in the philippines, i had to change my whole aircon system on th 78. since it is the law to only register lhd, jap imports have to be converted, thus repositioning the streeing wheel.. and you guessed it, the A/C evaporator and blower, plus remove all the OEM ducting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom