A/C Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I lost cold air in the A/C unit a couple years ago. My mech (not a dealer and very good) re-charged the system and added dye. The charge lasted for about two years. Fast forward to two subsequent charges (and no leak location identified); the last was in July prior to a ~1200 mile road trip through 110 degree temps. The charge lasted a month. Again, my mech could not find the source of the leak. On a recco from a friend I called a mobile A/C guy that he likes. He found the leak – the dye was located under the truck, driver side rear. There are two alum pipes leading to the condenser unit. One was easy to de-couple and swap out the o-ring. The other pipe; its frozen and since its aluminum he didn’t want to be ‘responsible’ if he cracked it by torqueing on it. He said the proper replacement requires a front to back (single) line that sounds like a sh8$! ton of labor charges.

I took the truck back to my mech today as I needed an oil change. I also told him the A/C leak was found and to take a look. He said he replaced the just replaced o-ring as he thought it was too small. The other line (frozen line) was something he could not de-couple. He re-charged the system, cleaned the dye spray up and said he did not see any leaks. The plan is to drive it for a month or so and take it back to see if its still leaking.

Q: if its still leaking, and the leaking alum pipe cannot be de-coupled, is the only fix a front to back hose replacement?

I’ve heard of the splice kits, but it sounds like they may or may not work long term. I don’t want to cap the rear system, but the replacement sounds like a ~$2k job. (and this is an ’08 truck w/108k on it).

I know I am not the only one………anyone deal with this?

Go to an AC specific service shop, not a mechanic. This is a common problem with Toyotas with rear air - Land Cruisers and Siennas especially. My 200 had the same issue and the AC shop made a custom shortened replacement hose and spliced into the existing hose. Try your best to convince the AC shop to not replace the entire hose as it is a very complex routing that requires a lot of billable time to reroute. As it was, it cost me almost $3k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom