A/C Belt Issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've gone round and round with this thing and everything that I do seems to be wrong.

While changing my spark plug wires today, I noticed that the belt on the A/C condenser had flipped. Seeing that it's been snowing up here, I haven't needed it in about 6 months. I released the tension on the belt, flipped it right way round and through the guide on the bottom of the condenser, around the big pulley and fired the engine up. It ran for about 5 seconds until I heard a flapping sound coming from the engine bay. Repeat x4 until frustration level maxes out.

What am I doing wrong? Is it just time for a new belt or am I missing something totally elementary? I think that I'm making great strides in my ability to diagnose/fix things on Beatrice, but this one has me going :crybaby:.

Any help would be appreciated.

paco

Time for a new belt. Check the pulley alignment just to be sure it's ok. Dayco belt # 17500. Sometimes they flip if some of the cords inside the belt break.
Good Luck!
Rex

you got pics?are you routing the belt abovr the idler pulley on the bottom or on the top?:hmm:john

Overtightening can do that.

Kind of on topic, don't you hate that feeling that you'll never be "done" with your cruiser bc every time you fix something something else that was working perfectly fine before breaks? :( :(

so i've fixed my power steering woes, idling issues, and was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Finally got the cash to buy 4 new tires and get some major alignment work done (when the bought the truck a month ago, i had to drive with the steering wheel at 9 o'clock to get it to go straight). I'm driving home, excited as hell because it's driving great when i noticed a pop and notice that the a/c isn't cooling anymore.

i get her home, notice the belt has come off, i put it back on and i drive it about 25 miles to my gf's house to pick her up to go mountain biking. on our way to the trail, the a/c stop cooling again, i pull to the side and the belt is off once again.

is it something stupid simple like just needing a new belt? or do i have another part to replace(compressor)?

Check the belt to see if it has any kinks-sometimes some cords can break-and the belt will jump off. Also check the alignment of the pulleys-if that's off it will also throw the belt. If the compressor is locking up, usually it will break the belt.
Good luck,
Rex

I would agree with the alignment of the belts. Use a straight edge to make sure that all the pulleys are in line with eachothe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom