‘98-‘99 better than 2000 +? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had all three.. 2000 LX470 and 98 LC, 99, LC. The 98 did NOT have rear air. FAIL in Oklahoma. The 2000 had rear heat & traction control.. superior to lockers in average driving conditions for normal people. I drove thousands of miles for business in fairly severe conditions and TRAC activated often. FAIL when it really counted such as snowstorms.. snow packed up in some unknown sensor and triggered check engine code. When check engine comes on, TRAC is disabled. So I was stuck in the ditch spinning opposite wheels in my 2000.

The 99'? Still have it. 256,000 and counting w/rear locker option. Wish it had rear heat like the 00'. The middle row heat doesn't cut it when it's really cold.. lucky OK doesn't get that cold often. Yes all 8 seats are occupied in my cruiser.

'98 best year ever! Dont ask me why, just 'cause. :D Its like driving a 4x4 magical unicorn.

With all the discussions about the LC’s the ’80 seems to be the best. But the 100 are a close second. (in first place considering the comfort :D)
No one has said anything about the year models to consider when choosing a 100.
I think the ‘98/’99 is a better choice as it has the rear dif. lock option and starting in 2000 they have traction control. Am I wrong to think it’s not as good off road? ??? I have driven a 2002 Land Rover Discovery and it would not climb what my Toyota Tacoma climbed! :flipoff2:
Please let me know what you guys think.
Landpimp, I know you have something to say here. :)

LC100 is way better than LC80

I've had all three.. 2000 LX470 and 98 LC, 99, LC. The 98 did NOT have rear air. FAIL in Oklahoma. The 2000 had rear heat & traction control.. superior to lockers in average driving conditions for normal people. I drove thousands of miles for business in fairly severe conditions and TRAC activated often. FAIL when it really counted such as snowstorms.. snow packed up in some unknown sensor and triggered check engine code. When check engine comes on, TRAC is disabled. So I was stuck in the ditch spinning opposite wheels in my 2000.

The 99'? Still have it. 256,000 and counting w/rear locker option. Wish it had rear heat like the 00'. The middle row heat doesn't cut it when it's really cold.. lucky OK doesn't get that cold often. Yes all 8 seats are occupied in my cruiser.
So since you own a 99 LC w/rear locker option, what would you pay for a 99 LC w/rear locker option and 200K miles in decent condition no accident? I ask because I am looking at one right now and wondering what's it worth and what I should be prepping my wallet for major service/maintenance, if I do pull the trigger?

So since you own a 99 LC w/rear locker option, what would you pay for a 99 LC w/rear locker option and 200K miles in decent condition no accident? I ask because I am looking at one right now and wondering what's it worth and what I should be prepping my wallet for major service/maintenance, if I do pull the trigger?

At that age/mileage it's all about condition and maintenance. Southern? Owners? Dealer serviced? Tire wear? Interior/exterior condition. $5k-$9k?

With all the discussions about the LC’s the ’80 seems to be the best. But the 100 are a close second. (in first place considering the comfort :D)
No one has said anything about the year models to consider when choosing a 100.
I think the ‘98/’99 is a better choice as it has the rear dif. lock option and starting in 2000 they have traction control. Am I wrong to think it’s not as good off road? ??? I have driven a 2002 Land Rover Discovery and it would not climb what my Toyota Tacoma climbed! :flipoff2:
Please let me know what you guys think.
Landpimp, I know you have something to say here. :)

I have similar thoughts but also because 98/99 are older they are cheaper, so do you take the saved money and put it into a build or start off with a newer base truck and then build as funds become available.

At that age/mileage it's all about condition and maintenance. Southern? Owners? Dealer serviced? Tire wear? Interior/exterior condition. $5k-$9k?
I bought mine about a year ago. '99 with rear locker, exterior has a few dings, front tupperware bumper was cracked, driver seat bolster ripped open, rest of interior decent, good tires, 175k miles, I got it for $7,000. Also not many LCs in my area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom