‘98-‘99 better than 2000 +? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With all the discussions about the LC’s the ’80 seems to be the best. But the 100 are a close second. (in first place considering the comfort :D)
No one has said anything about the year models to consider when choosing a 100.
I think the ‘98/’99 is a better choice as it has the rear dif. lock option and starting in 2000 they have traction control. Am I wrong to think it’s not as good off road? ??? I have driven a 2002 Land Rover Discovery and it would not climb what my Toyota Tacoma climbed! :flipoff2:
Please let me know what you guys think.
Landpimp, I know you have something to say here. :)

well, I was slapped by some forum regulars when I dared to ask whether trac control might be good to have off-road. So if they are right, the 98/99 might be better for heavier off-road use and 2000+ for heavy street use.
Maybe one way to look at it would be that the 98/99 is sort of a compromise between the great off-road 80 and the great on-road 2000+?
Ain't it great to have so much choice?
E
(eh, used to do Trial competitions with an OSSA...)

The newer cruisers also have an updated interior (dash) and a 5 speed auto transmission. I still prefer the 98/99 w/ an optional rear locker. Especially if you plan to upgrade the head unit. The new one is all touch screen controlled, I can't imagine the process to upgrade that for aftermarket subs and speakers. Lockers just seem to work better in the tough situations. Messing around in a ditch I made my front right wheel and rear left wheel lose traction, so I was hopeless w/ just the center locker engaged and w/o the rear one engaged. Locked up rear and was out easily. No clue how a traction system would handle that w/ just a center locker to work w/. Maybe the best would be to drop an arb in the rear of a newer model, best traction control and a locker.

-Matt

correct, the 98-99 have optional rear locker, 2000+ traction controll(know idea how well it works off road)

I recall hearing 98-99 had a weaker front diff

2000's still have the normal headunit(like an 80) so its easy to upgrade, I stayed away from the newer 100 partial becuase of this.

thats about all I know, I'm a newbie with the 100's

I will say this.........the 100 series is a damn fine machine.

also I just got vol1 of the 2000 FSM(vol2 is on way) and I'll tell ya.......it scares the CRAP out of me.........heck I am afraid to disconect the battery.............

just coming back from testing an 80... :p
Man, night and day. What a difference on the road. Enjoy the 100!! :cheers:
E

2000 onward has a 4 pinion front diff vs a 2 pinion on the '98 and '99's.

uzj100

What difference would a 4-pinion diff. make? And can the newer one be added?

I am really new to these 100s but mine has an ARB locker in the front and I think I remember reading on here, by adding a front locker you don't have to worry about the 2 pinion. Still not sure why that is.

Thanks for the link, I'm still learning so now I can cross this off the list.

98-98 are the best ones imho
form 2000-03 there is something wrong with transmission , don’t recall what was it but I know I looked into it.
plus i like my diff lock
good luck

nothing is perfect . ^^^^^^
dont hate on the model with diff locks lol jk.

form 2000-03 there is something wrong with transmission , don’t recall what was it but I know I looked into it.

First, holy resurrected threads batman!

Second, to clarify the issue is with 2000 into early 2001. There was an inconsistent batch of bushings which made it into the fleet. As far as we can tell, that elevated the failure rate from ~1.5% outside of those years to ~3.7% (<-- Click on link for Rob's epic analysis). I would challenge you to find another brand with a failure rate as low as ~3.7%. Yes, it's elevated for the date range, but statistically it's still a very small percentage.

98-98 are the best ones imho
plus i like my diff lock
good luck

:confused: 2003 has a 5sp automatic with a dip stick to boot

Watching someone work ATRAC has me a believer in what it can do .. only have seen it fail in one situation , long very muddy up hill...

but 99 is still the best year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom