'97 LX 450 stereo upgrade options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if anyone can advise on the following:

- I had a '96 Cruiser that had 9 speakers including the two up high near the rear hatch and the sub down low. My current '97 LX (before they used Nakamichi) has seven speakers w/a little sub in the center console. Is the wiring present and connected so I could just pop two more speakers in the stock spots in the rear? How about putting a bigger Toyota sub in the stock spot in the rear and losing the little one in the console?

- Are the Lexus speakers any better than the standard Toyotas? They sound pretty average to me. I'm thinking this would be the best bang for the buck.

- The stock head unit supposedly is a good one and puts out 195 watts (including 55w to the sub) Would I have to spend a ton to do any better aftermarket?

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dan

Dan,

The roof wire in a 450 is the same part number as the 80 with a 5 speaker system. That tells me that there are no wires in the roof for rear speakers. The door speakers and dash speakers are not the same part numbers between the two vehicles, so something about them is different.

Dan.

Dan:

Let us know what you end up doing. The LX speakers may be different, but they seem to be POS to me. I've been monitoring all the posts on upgraded speakers and this is the path I think I'll take. I'll wait for the head to die and then replace that as well.

Cheers, Hugh

As per instructions, Images and Aloha from Members I replaced my LX-450 door speakers with Pioneer TSG 1645R's. Sub with Tang Band W4-1720. Not Audiophile but..Sounds great! less than $200.00 in parts! Sub has a Massive magnet for a 4" inch cone. Really sounds substantially better than stock drivers when new, surrrounds had rotted or coils blown after 19 years. Not a hard job but a little time consuming. Solder and heat tubing. No Twisting wires. Sub is pot metal frame and has to be sawed or cut to match old unit taken off. like 15 minutes work. REPLace foam surrounds with adhesive Foam insulation. Also rear mount there are crevices in the metal. Stick foam in there. I know, Not sealed system but no sense having so much air leakeage. Mine sounds good! If you need tips, ;et me know.

LX-450 Double DIN advice wanted: These 6" LCD, DVD, Rear view, Aux in new units look super cool at a low price. Under $400.00. All Drivers replaced. Sounds fine now. Head unit question, friends. Stock Head unit. Cassette player. Silly. What I love about it is the knobs. I was an Audio Engineer and Location Audio Guy in Motion Picture and Audio for Video...I need Knobs! Every Mix is different. I am always tweaking Tonality/EQ. Not workable to hit buttons and up/down controls. I'll crash! Need knobs. Anybody have suggestions other than sticking with Stock Unit? Aloha and mahalo (Thanks,-G)

Dan,

The roof wire in a 450 is the same part number as the 80 with a 5 speaker system. That tells me that there are no wires in the roof for rear speakers. The door speakers and dash speakers are not the same part numbers between the two vehicles, so something about them is different.

Dan.
Front Drivers are paper cones with Foam surrounds. Not made to last. Rear drivers are Tiny 4" units in Housing to keep them out of the way of Window mechanics. Pioneers fit well with their own grills. Peeps just gotta make sure to adhere foam to seal and when seating them that screws find purchase in uneven sheet metal around drivers. They really sound great for almost no money. $35.00 a pair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom