97 LC Rear Wiper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
WHat would I need to do?
I have changed the wiper blade and still, it is not wiping perfect fan shape when activated. Is it the arm i need to replace?
Thanks.

You have to do a better job explaining the problem. :slap:

Does the arm move the full range? Does it lose contact?

mine did the same..
it didnt contact the window properly..seemed like the shaft was crooked..
so,
[glow=red,2,300]I FAWKING BENDED IT![/glow]

..works good now

Yes. It moves perfect range. It does not contact 5-6 inches right below the third brake light. Should I bend the shaft?

Same problem with mine. I wish I'd never replaced the damn thing. I'm going to have to bend it, I think.

Hay, I was going to post this post.
My pin that the arm where you can lift the wiper off the window is rurted.
When I let the arm go when it is up the spring doesn't pull it down.
I was thinking of drilling out the pin and putting in a SS bolt or replace it if it is not toooo $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

mine does the same. :(

In the Midwest (Rustbelt) this is a common problem on rear wiper blades of basically all manufacturer's, and is caused by corrosion on the wiper arm hinge pin. So, in this case at least, Toyota doesn't seem to be the only manufacturer with poor design engineers.

The corrosion prevents the spring from pulling the wiper arm against the glass tightly enough, and usually at the end of the arc, the convex glass shape causes the (flat) rubber wiper to lose contact with the glass, at far end of the blade.

I have spent many an hour trying to fix this problem on my '87 4Runner (whose wiper reaches down from the fiberglass top, but has this same problem, as does my '97 FZJ80). C'mon, manufacturers, please care what happens to your vehicles after they leave the lot! :) hahaha I'm so naive.

Anyway, the first answer (I think, I haven't completed my accelerated aging test to prove this quantifiably heehee) is preventative maintenance: keep that pivot point lubricated. I've randomly alternated between any cheap equivalent to WD40, and graphite lube like "Drop'l Doo". So far so good on my 4Runner replacement, and my wife's Venture.

For those of you (like me) who don't think your truck is your life, and don't want to add yet another maintenance item to your burgeoning list (like annual rad flushes and BS like that), I haven't found the perfect (=cheap, permanent) solution. They do sell replacement generic wiper arms at auto stores (I've tried that-- works for a couple years). You can try heat and lots of lube (works for a couple months, probably depends on extent of corrosion). You can try drilling out the pin and finding some type of replacement: I haven't found a good one yet, at that point I went to aftermarket arm. Bending the arm is a temporary, 'treat-the-symptom' solution: eventually the pin will freeze up, and no amount of arm-bending will result in contact through the entire range.

Happy holidays,
Kenton

<<"(like annual rad flushes and BS like that)">>

:D I have radiators and gasket sets in stock to fix ignored issuses such as this.

Um, I don't stock them on speculation, they are stocked because of demand...... ;)

I have fixed it!. I have bent the wiper are closest to the blade fitting about 1/8" and it works perfectly.

Same here. Slight bend at the end of the wiper arm, and it works.

I didn't mean "it's BS to do exceptional rad maintenance because it's unnecessary", I meant "it's BS that exceptional maintenance is required on the rear wiper arm, just like the coolant, the PHH, the starter solenoid, the front axle, etc etc etc". How can these vehicles survive for more than a few years, in some of these 180 countries that the 80 was supposedly sold into, that are 'third world' and don't have the wealth we do? Like Australia, the UK, and backwater places like that? (BIG ;) there blokes/mates/lads/etc)

As fer the rest of ya'z: go ahead, bend yer wiper arms and ignore the pivot. But don't come cryin' ta me next winter, when you have to bend it more, then a little more until finally its frozen and requires replacement. Been there, done that. :whoops:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=9243;start=msg81119#msg81119 date=1072631618]
<<"(like annual rad flushes and BS like that)">>

:D I have radiators and gasket sets in stock to fix ignored issuses such as this.

Um, I don't stock them on speculation, they are stocked because of demand...... ;)

[/quote]

Kenton,
I have oiled, greased, and cleaned the pivot and there was no improvement. I almost thought of replacing the arm but wanted to give it a try by bending it and it works perfect. It may work or may not next winter, but trust me, I won't be crying to you :flipoff2:, instead I will be running to C-Dan! :D

Kenton,

>> How can these vehicles survive for more than a few years, in some of these 180 countries <<
>> that the 80 was supposedly sold into, that are 'third world' and don't have the wealth we do? <<

You seem to be associating non-US countries with mechanical ignorance and lack of routine maintenance. The LC owners in the "other" 179 countries would laugh at our reluctance to put grease in our axles or to replace starter contacts. Besides that, most of those other countries (assuming there are in fact 179 others) get different configurations; manual transmissions, diesels, and more basic creature comforts.) Not many complaints on bent power antennas coming from Kenya.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom