'97 exhaust replacement - Toyota flanges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, so here's my dilemma. I'm replacing my exhaust from the y pipe back. Long story but a typical one - exhaust is a patchwork of PO's work/repairs and OEM, cats clogged while back and were removed...etc., etc. It's time for new. Not paying the ridiculous prices for OEM everything - especially when this vehicle is still on the tentative list for an engine swap sometime in the future...so, below is the plan:

Y-pipe: magnaflow
2nd cat: magnaflow
Muffler: AP exhaust - cheap but as long as it works I'm OK with shortened lifespan
02 sensors: Denso
Gaskets and hardware: Toyota

Now we get to the problem:

I have a SLEE rear bumper, which is great - but I don't want to order an OEM tailpipe just to have it dangle way down below my bumper and get ripped off at some point. So, I've been looking for some aftermarket exhaust flanges that match the Toyota styles ones. That would allow me to fab my own tailpipe but still have it bolt up to the muffler section. Problem is I can only find flat flanges with the two bolt pattern. Looks like the Toyota ones have a pocket machined into them to hold the round Toyota gaskets. Am I right about this? Anybody know who sells flanges like that or should I just hack that one off and use a v-band?

is ur muffler currently welded to the rear catalytic converter? just curious since I checked mine today when I'm planning to swap in the muffler with a new one and noticed that they seem welded together. I wonder if that's from factory and this is an original.

is ur muffler currently welded to the rear catalytic converter? just curious since I checked mine today when I'm planning to swap in the muffler with a new one and noticed that they seem welded together. I wonder if that's from factory and this is an original.
From the factory the rear cat is it's own piece. If it's welded to the muffler section then someone was in there and built what's on your truck. Not factory.

From the factory the rear cat is it's own piece. If it's welded to the muffler section then someone was in there and built what's on your truck. Not factory.
Yes, factory cats are bolted together via flanges and the rear cat is then bolted to the muffler section in the same way.

Still no luck finding factory style flanges. Worst case scenario the union between the muffler section and tailpipe will use a different style flange and seal - was trying to go 100% Toyota on the hardware and gaskets though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom