95 series Prado 1KZ-TE - Unichip and tuning discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5 map version and had it custom tweaked then
1 immobiliser
2 winch
3 economy
4 towing
5 full power

it is bloody brilliant on mine best money i spent not sure what they like on yours but 100 i think it worked out just over 40 bhp and 145lb torque

Nice one! What was the problem with your truck which the chip has overcome?

I'm trying to overcome the dreaded 1KZ powerloss on hills. We have a 110km/h freeway which I drive daily which has a bunch of gentle but long hills along it. Currently my Prado drops to 90km/h on those hills - and as low as 70km/h with family in the car! The big trucks usually are sitting on 60km/h on these hills. To overtake the trucks I have to enter the fast lane at 90km/h with other cars doing around 120k/h unless I wanna be stuck behind those trucks (which I don't).... Its frustrating as hell! I also love my Prado to bits and don't want to part with it so this Unichip is sounding very promising. I'm just a bit worried about EGTs creeping up/potential overheating problems which the 1KZ motor is infamous for. Thats why I am looking for feedback from other experienced folk. Thanks for sharing your experience! Appreciate it!

On my old 90 series i had a tunit box which was ok not brilliant just ok
But these are a different league its a completely different car to drive and gives you more mpg in economy mode
It just gives you more useable power across the range

On my old 90 series i had a tunit box which was ok not brilliant just ok
But these are a different league its a completely different car to drive and gives you more mpg in economy mode
It just gives you more useable power across the range
Yeah nice! Thats the general consensus I'm reading for other models. Sounds like the go I reckon!

Yeah nice! Thats the general consensus I'm reading for other models. Sounds like the go I reckon!
Did you end up going with the Unichip? Which model #? Their US site lists a unit for the ‘01+ Prado 90 with the 1KZ-TE, which it seems should suit the 1996 - but they aren’t responding to emails to customer service.

Did you end up going with the Unichip? Which model #? Their US site lists a unit for the ‘01+ Prado 90 with the 1KZ-TE, which it seems should suit the 1996 - but they aren’t responding to emails to customer service.
Hey mate. I've bought the Unichip (2nd hand). Just haven't had it installed yet. Still doing a bit of cleaning up/maintenance of the engine/vehicle in preparation but plan to have it installed over the next couple of months. Theirs a 5 week wait at the tuners so...

I was recommended the Q4 system for the 1kz-te (pre common rail) which is what I've purchased. Any Q4 unit will work with any car so no need to worry about what car it came out of if buying used. They basically just wipe it and remap for your engine.

Hey mate. I've bought the Unichip (2nd hand). Just haven't had it installed yet. Still doing a bit of cleaning up/maintenance of the engine/vehicle in preparation but plan to have it installed over the next couple of months. Theirs a 5 week wait at the tuners so...

I was recommended the Q4 system for the 1kz-te (pre common rail) which is what I've purchased. Any Q4 unit will work with any car so no need to worry about what car it came out of if buying used. They basically just wipe it and remap for your engine.

Thanks! So the Q4 isn't plug and play- you have to have a tune put on it? I'm not sure there's anyone in my part of the world that knows how to tune a Toyota diesel. I'm going to have to find something off the shelf, unfortunately.

Thanks! So the Q4 isn't plug and play- you have to have a tune put on it? I'm not sure there's anyone in my part of the world that knows how to tune a Toyota diesel. I'm going to have to find something off the shelf, unfortunately.
Everything I've read and been told says to stay clear of the plug n play modules and that "live tuning" is the only safe way to go. Plug n play modules are probably ok if your car isn't modified at all as the P&P module would be tuned for a stock standard version of the car I'm guessing. It won't take into account larger exhaust, larger wheels, turbo boost wound up, snorkel, all those things that affect performance etc. My car is heavily modified so it makes sense to go for a live tune.

Everything I've read and been told says to stay clear of the plug n play modules and that "live tuning" is the only safe way to go. Plug n play modules are probably ok if your car isn't modified at all as the P&P module would be tuned for a stock standard version of the car I'm guessing. It won't take into account larger exhaust, larger wheels, turbo boost wound up, snorkel, all those things that affect performance etc. My car is heavily modified so it makes sense to go for a live tune.

Makes sense.... I'd also read that some of the chips (it's unclear if Unichip is in this bucket) essentially just increase the fueling across the board. I'm pretty sure there's no one here in the SE USA that can tune a Toyota diesel, so we'll be keeping it stock.

I believe theirs some timing advancement that occurs as well. Whatever direction you go in, be sure to give your cooling system a bit of a birthday (flush and replace old components especially all hoses). I'd also look into an engine guard device to monitor head temperatures. You can find such devices for about AUD$130 and after blowing a head and nearly blowing the new head of my engine due to cooling system leaking while driving and the temp gauge not working till it's too late, I've learned they're an essential modification for the 1kz, especially when you're working the engine a bit harder. 👍 Keep me posted with your progress on this. Keen to hear how you go 😎👍

Ok well it's done! Only got to test it out driving home on Thursday night then had surgery Friday so haven't given it a full test towing etc yet.
First impression: Gets up and goes much faster! It's weird because the car doesnt sound like its going faster until you look at the speedo. Still sounds quiet and smooth. Accessing the free way on a long gentle slop (110km/h zone) I was able to get up closer to speed limit and eventually was sitting on 110km/h towards the top of the hill which I haven't normally been able to do. The following hill on the free way (another long one) I hit at 120km/h and ended up about 105km/h at the top which is much better! Usually I would have to drop back to 90km/h and often have to make that dodgy decision of sitting behind the slow moving truck or pulling into the fast lane 20-30km/h under the speed limit in order to maintain my momentum. So thats a bit of a win!
The somewhat obvious issue which I knew was coming and am working on is the EGT's are now WAY up even under normal driving conditions around town. The issue stems from the factory TM intercooler. It sucks! I've been having issues with this ever since running higher boosts but only just recently starting to understand the problem better. Pre-Unichip, I was measuring upwards of 100 deg C on the cold side when climbing hills and could feel the fuelling being pulled back. So obviously having the car tuned with an intercooler that isnt working basically means I havent got the best out of the tune. But as I see it, the main cost was having the chip installed. Now it's in, following tunes will be much more affordable.

Next step, cheap custom top mount intercooler setup! Follow this expeirment here if interested to know more.

Also I've started a reddit sub specifically for 1KZ-TE owners to come and chat, give advice and share tips and tricks. r/1KZTE_Owners - https://www.reddit.com/r/1KZTE_Owners/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom