95 Discovery bogs under load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently picked up a 95 Discovery pretty well set up. Vacuum advance was bad and was replaced. Idles fine, maybe a little rich but smooth. As long as it isn't under load it ill rev and hold up to 3500 rpm. As soon as I attempt to accelerate it bogs and if I keep my foot in it past about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle it dies. MAF has been cleaned, checked for vacuum leaks, in-tank fuel pump sounds good. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires look fairly new. My past experience is mostly older with older Jeeps, in which case I would say rebuild the MC2100, or at least get a new accelerator pump. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Pull the Stepper motor (black thing on the back of the valve cover sticking out horizontally by the firewall) clean it out really good with some Carb cleaner or WD-40. Damn thing will cause the oddest symptoms sometimes. It's basically an idle air bypass valve. It gets stuck.

It will always run a tad rich.

Also, don't fall for the cap/rotor looking new. They are bad out of the box more than us Rover people would like to admit.

Don't order parts stateside unless you can't help it. Get a parts manual and order from LRDirect in the UK. Shipping is reasonable and extremely fast. Usually faster than ordering from here.

Don't buy Britpart brand anything unless you just can't stomach the cost of the other brands. It's not great stuff. That being said, I will still buy it if it saves me half the cost on something I can easily replace again. Just don't put their parts somewhere critical or hard to get to.

Cleaned the stepper motor, replaced cap and rotor, re-checked the timing again, still no change. Before I cleaned the MAF it would not run with the MAF unplugged, now it runs the same plugged or unplugged.

Had these symptoms and it was a bad fuel pump. I’d replace that and the filter.

I can’t remembwr now, as it was years ago, but there is some domestic, cheaper, and more reliable fuel pump that can be used with a few tweaks. That lasted through the rest of that engine that blew at only 110k, until the vehicle was scrapped.

Thanks. That ones gone. I changed the fuel pump. I figured out later it was a bad distributor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom