92 Nissan maxima Starter replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Hey guys....I figure the all knowing MUD brain will know the answer to this problem.

My neighbor owns a 1992 Nissan Maxima and it will not start. There is power going to the starter according to my charge light, and I can physically feel the starter clicking. Its clicks once per key turn but will not turn the motor.

I pecked around on the starter as the nissan dealer's mechanic told me I should and still didn't do anything.

My neighbor was wondering how hard it is to replace the starter motor in a V6 Nissan.

This motor is the type that is turned sideways in the car and the starter is very accessible at first glance.

lunyou

Tap on the starter with the heavy end of a screwdriver and see if it will catch. I had a blazer that had a starter that would do that once upon a time, a good wack and it would start working again. Worth a try.

I have no idea what it would take to change it.

well i pecked around on it with a heqavy socket wrench and nothing caught....of course I wasn't tapping hard enough due to my lack of knowledge how hard was too hard.

lunyou

well i pecked around on it with a heqavy socket wrench and nothing caught....of course I wasn't tapping hard enough due to my lack of knowledge how hard was too hard.

lunyou

You can't break it any more than it's broke, can you? Knock the piss out of it.

it not hard to change that starter,it probably just needs new brass contact

is the brass contact inside the starter? Are these also called bushings??

lunyou

What you need is a coat hanger.....

Solenoid maybe, did you check all the cable connections and make sure they're tight and corrosion free? Some cars are 15 minutes, others are 15 hours to replace.

I've had a '90 Maxima SE (5spd) and had intemitten(sp) starting problems.

I would turn the ignition and it would just click, but not turn over. It was usually solved by turning the key on and off, on and off, several times until it started.

GOOD LUCK!

My 18 yo :princess: has a 95, so the starter is likely the same. If the starter says Mitsubishi, there is a bushing inside that wears out. At first it makes a bad noise and will start. That lasts about a year. Then it makes a very bad noise and won't start. You can't just replace the contacts like a Denso starter. You need a whole new starter. I believe you want the variant made by Hitachi. It does not have the bushing problem.

Since replacement a year ago, it's been 100%.

I have found the Nissan difficult to work on myself. It isn't logical like a Toyota. In my life, I have owned 9 Toyotas, 1 Chevy, 1 Nissan, 3 VWs, 1 Subaru, 1 Acura, and 1 Dodge. The only ones I enjoyed working on were the Toyotas and the VWs. Toyotas are meant to be serviced, Nissans are meant to be serviced at the dealer. It's a surprisingly big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom