91 fj80 floor panel gets hot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1991 fj80 with 114,000 miles on it and it passed smog. I notice after 15min of driving it gets really hot underneath the floor panel on the driver side. Plus the gear shifter gets pretty hot to. Also my stereo keeps crapping out when it gets hot. Please help!

I have a 1991 fj80 with 114,000 miles on it and it passed smog. I notice after 15min of driving it gets really hot underneath the floor panel on the driver side. Plus the gear shifter gets pretty hot to. Also my stereo keeps crapping out when it gets hot. Please help!
Mine gets v warm in c console area also the shifter. Like melt a choc bar. Your exhaust is on the right side. You didn't say which side your s wheel is on. Need more details. Is weird eh

Two things to check would be for a rust hole in the floor board, if so fix it and Dynamat floor area. Shift boot probably is cracked and allowing hot air to enter cab.
This is what i discovered in tracking down all that unwanted heat.

Your heat shield around the cats is missing most likely. My feet get hot for that reason!

Mine used to get super hot.

Here was my findings.

Lower steering shaft seal was shot
Ebrake shifter boot was cracked

After these items were replaced (I fixed the shifter boot with some black silicone) I noticed a significant reduction in heat inside the cab area. I had the cats removed during my desmog and lifted the truck (OME springs) all at the same time and noticed most all of the heat is now gone. Not sure if it had to do with the cats being removed or the lift. I would imagine both helped. I could see logic in the lift letting more air circulate under the truck while in motion....but I imagine the cats had most to do with heat dissipation though.

That being said we don't have a SMOG regulation where I live. You're likely going to have to dynamat the cabin and/or spray some lizard skin underneath on the cab area around the exhaust. The exhaust runs really close to the driver side footwell as well as the center console area.

I would check for heat shields and the boots/seals mentioned above. Those are the main areas where you get heat from the exhaust

<snip> Your exhaust is on the right side.<snip>

Not with a 3FE. The exhaust exits the engine on the left side of the vehicle. It does not cross over to the right until it gets to the muffler behind the transfer case.

There you go. check heat shields,recent off road,restricted exhaust, to start. Unless your temp gauge is going nuclear nothing else causes as much heat. Rear heater works as normal also front?

There you go. check heat shields,recent off road,restricted exhaust, to start. Unless your temp gauge is going nuclear nothing else causes as much heat. Rear heater works as normal also front?
Cat Heat shields. Mentioned twice in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom