91 FJ80 (3FE) just failed smog! help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck has 225 000 mi.
At 2500 rpm everyting passed
HC 42 (ave=20 max=120)
CO 0.36 (ave=0.10 max=1.00)

at 750rpm
HC 240 (ave=30 max=120) FAIL:crybaby:
CO 1.10 (ave=0.10 max=1.00) FAIL:crybaby:

The technician's opinion is the the AFM should be checked first and then the cats should be replaced.

I just did a tune up (but did not adjust the valves) and the truck runs great. The AFM is from a 1991 3FE with 140 000 mi. I don't think the cats were ever done.

I am going to check the AFM tonight (specs from FSM).

Any advice appreciated.

Neil

Here is start as well to others chiming in: JH Home

I dont have a 3fe, but jon knows his stuff and many others here :)

HTH

Thanks for the links. I tested the AFM tonight (with out removing) and the resistance measurements were all in spec.

I guess its time to replace the cats. apparently I kick in the 1st $100 and the government will pay the next $500. What a country!:cheers:

The registration has already expired but I think its optional in SoCal anyways.;)

Neil

PASSED SMOG,

I got my Consumer Assistance Program letter and took it into the SMOG REPAIR SHOP. The tech adjusted my AFM - he actually drilled out the plug to access the adjustment screw - and it passed. He said that it looks like the CATS will need to be replaced next time. It only cost me $108 (and the state $140).

FYI - the CA cats are more pricey because they are built to a higher standard and contain a higher amount of nobel metals which are expensive.

Neil

If you can get a high flow cat.

My money, if I was a betting man, is that your valves need to be adjusted. In fact that seems to be the number one problem when a 3FE fails smog. It was with mine. Where are you located??

I ran two cans of Seafoam through the intake on my truck when it failed. Didn't do a whole lot, but enough to pass smog.

My cats are pretty much shot, too... :eek:

I'm in San Diego.

The valves were adjusted about 15k ago so I didn't go there. I did read in other posts that it seems to be a common source of smog failure with the 3FE. I'll check them when I get some time.

I'd read the seafoam posts on this forum and others. Its interesting. I'll probably try it. I'm not sure if I'll put it in the crankcase though. I was hoping to see if the guy who had access to the smog equipment tested the alcohol/gas mixture trick.

Anyways I'm good for another 2 years!
Thanks again, this forum is a great help.

Neil:cheers:

I'd read the seafoam posts on this forum and others. Its interesting. I'll probably try it. I'm not sure if I'll put it in the crankcase though. I was hoping to see if the guy who had access to the smog equipment tested the alcohol/gas mixture trick.

The seafoam definitely did something to my motor. Runs better than before. Some say it messes with the cats, but mine are toast anyway (still passed I/M... thinking of gutting them now) :meh:

If there's enough interest, I can try the gasohol mixture sometime and see how it fares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom