9011 hir bulbs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A quick add to Kevin's comment #19 is that if you are ever after Silverstar bulbs here in the USA, you see a jump in price you can't really understand -like shopping Amazon or Ebay- There's 2 tiers of Sylvania Silverstars - straight Sylvania & Osram.
Osrams are ~2x the price, but esp in HID apps they are far longer lasting, even if you have the cheapest of ballasts.

I have the same experience where my Depo units have had both dirt & water incursion, but never had that with the OE that took the 900x bulbs - get what you pay for :meh:.

I had a couple extra sets of Lamin-X covers cut for my OE headlights - it was a setup charge & $$/pr deal that better money was the total of 5 sets I had. Clear & ~1.5mm thick, no color change even on my ~100w H3 inner driving lights.

--Just a solution for road use where we all get a LS light chipped/worse from oncoming traffic kicking up rocks.

Whelp...just ordered 4. Thanks for the links with the good prices. I was seeing $18 or so each at the auto parts stores.

So you guys are running the 9011 for highs and lows? In all 4 holes? Any before and after photos of stock vs. 9011?

Thanks!

So you guys are running the 9011 for highs and lows? In all 4 holes? Any before and after photos of stock vs. 9011?

Thanks!
Yup, I just did mine a week ago. Huge difference. I didn't bother to take photos. There are photos on here somewhere.

I did notice it takes a bit of muscle to get the clip for the lows onto the 9011 base because the tab is a little different between highs and lows. Just make sure its straight and give it a little more force. :)

Yup, I just did mine a week ago. Huge difference. I didn't bother to take photos. There are photos on here somewhere.

I did notice it takes a bit of muscle to get the clip for the lows onto the 9011 base because the tab is a little different between highs and lows. Just make sure its straight and give it a little more force. :)

Awesome! Will do this for sure. My brights are really good actually but the dims really suck. I can imagine how it will be reflecting off all this snow. :):)

We just use a mini grinder to remove the webs from the bulb, could likely be done with a knife?

Reactions: b16
Do this bulb mod really offer a significant lighting upgrade? I have always messed with the stock replacements...

Is there a "catch" to the bulbs sold by RockAuto? I can get 4 of them for $9.50 shipped which beats everywhere else by a long shot.
WAGNER 9011 Headlamp Bulb | RockAuto

I have read that some 9011 bulbs are "fake" or not actually HIR so I am a bit skeptical.

If they are $9.50 a piece shipped, that sounds right. I have ordered from rockauto before and they are the Philips bulbs. If you are saying all four to your door is less than $10 I don't believe it.

I heat up an exacto knife and remove those two ridges on the inside of the ones I'm using in the low beam spots. That way you don't have to worry about breaking your 20 yr old connectors.

Do this bulb mod really offer a significant lighting upgrade? I have always messed with the stock replacements...

For $40 your not going to find a better bang for your buck headlight upgrade. You will notice a difference.

I was impressed how easy it was to trim the clips down with a pair of nail clippers. Trim to these dims:

yhst-91565365470012_2267_311973

ok... SO, I get x2 9011's and x2 9012's (for low & high beams) or just x4 9011's for high/low beams?

Just did mine. All 9011. Used the Wagners from Amazon.

Used self fusing tape to fix the "wobble". Cut a 1/4" strip, one layer. Done. Nice and snug.

Re brightness improvement, it's like night and day.

Worth every penny.

ok... SO, I get x2 9011's and x2 9012's (for low & high beams) or just x4 9011's for high/low beams?

No. FOUR 9011s!

9011s in all four holes.

Huge difference. Unreal difference.

RIght on.. The madness/mods never really end, do they?

RIght on.. The madness/mods never really end, do they?

This one is cheap and IMHO necessary. I just got back from 4400+ miles of some remote darkness. I can remember drving these saw roads with the stock 9005/9006 bulbs. It was unsafe before. It was very easy to overdrive your headlights. With the 9011s you can't.

ok... SO, I get x2 9011's and x2 9012's (for low & high beams)

This is the "correct" way to do it.

or just x4 9011's for high/low beams?

This is brighter, but takes more mods and the high bulbs have shorter life, so running them in the lows they will need to be replaced more often.

The picture below doesn't explicitly state it but be aware of which side you're trimming off when adapting a 9011 to a 9006. It is the opposite side of what is showing on the 9011 to 9005 below.
I was impressed how easy it was to trim the clips down with a pair of nail clippers. Trim to these dims:

yhst-91565365470012_2267_311973

The picture below doesn't explicitly state it but be aware of which side you're trimming off when adapting a 9011 to a 9006. It is the opposite side of what is showing on the 9011 to 9005 below.

Just hold the two different bulbs side by side and compare. Then cut. Simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom