89' camry won't start!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Hello to all, I have recently purchased this vehicle at a local auction and it was running fine until yesterday. The problem is that the engine will not turn over at all. I took the starter off and had it checked at the local O'reily automotive store along with the new battery and both checked out o.k. The guy at the store said it might be my ignition switch. I ran a wire from the starter to the positive post of the battery and with the ignition on it started right up. I've also replaced the ignition starter switch wires and still no start. One last note, he said it might be some type of modular on the front of the transmission? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ready

One last note, he said it might be some type of modular on the front of the transmission? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ready

I'm guessing he means the sensor that won't let the vehicle start unless it's in park. Definitely something to consider; it's often an issue on 80 series Cruisers.

Curtis

Automatic or manual transmission?

We had an '88 Camry with a manual transmissions at one time, and the clutch start safety switch on the clutch pedal was kinda finicky, you had to push the clutch pedal down all the way as far as possible, or the car wouldn't start. I never bothered fixing it, as I figured it was a built-in anti-theft device. We just got used to it.

It can also be the Neutral Start Switch, if you have an automatic. It keeps the engine from cranking unless you are in Park or Neutral. It can get out of adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom