88 pickup Ls swap transmission questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to plan out doing a 4.8 Chevy v8 swap into my pickup. Keeping ifs. As far as I know I have the stock w56 still in my truck although not sure because there is a cut out around my shifters which has me questioning why but I’m assuming it’s still the stock w56.

Seems to be the case that the r151f would be a more ideal transmission to mate up being stronger. I plan to keep the 4.8 completely stock. They run less than 300 hp, at my elevation probably even less.

But I’m also willing to try to just use my w56 and see how it goes. I don’t do anything crazy with my truck, I’m more interested in it getting down the highway then doing technical off roading.

What’s your guys thoughts on this?

00EE7747-31AA-4C67-9BFB-C5225696E569.jpeg

I put an R151F in my 88. The lower 1st and 2nd gears were designed for the turbo lag of the 22RTE engine. I did NOT like them on my 22RE and liked them even less when I went to a 3.4. Especially on my daily commute.

I ended up putting in a gear set from an R150 from a 3.0 truck. A much better match for the 3.4.

You might be ok with the W56. Especially if you aren't a lead foot.

Oh, Welcome to Mud!

I put an R151F in my 88. The lower 1st and 2nd gears were designed for the turbo lag of the 22RTE engine. I did NOT like them on my 22RE and liked them even less when I went to a 3.4. Especially on my daily commute.

I ended up putting in a gear set from an R150 from a 3.0 truck. A much better match for the 3.4.

You might be ok with the W56. Especially if you aren't a lead foot.

Oh, Welcome to Mud!
Right! Ya I mean who here as actually blown a w56… never heard of it other then people just saying that they’re weaker…

if you saw the difference internally you would understand.
im also running the r150 behind my 3.4

Yes, I read the Marlin Crawler posts about an R series being double the strength but I never appreciated the difference until I had them both apart. R series has the stronger 5th gear design as well.

Got an R box for sale here in Aus :)

I replaced the pos auto in a 90 4runner 2.4L with a MT5 I don't even know what it is....have since doubled the hp with a turbo. I don't drive like an idiot and this application was for lack of power on the highway. I figured if it lunches I'll deal with. But- what is the preferred box in a 4x4 that will mate with the 22re be a step up in torque capacity yet be somewhat available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom