88 Land Cruiser won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 88 Cruiser that has an intermittent problem - most times it will not start. The problem appears to be that it is not getting any gas. The fuel system checks out okay. The ignition system checks out okay. The computer checks out okay. To start it the tech at the dealership sprayed some starter in the little red hose on top of the motor. It started right up. The problem is that the tech has no idea what to check. He suggested replacing the temp sensor but that checked out okay. It is apparently very expensive to fix since it is so hard to get at. Basically I have a Cruiser that no one seems to know what to do with. Has anyone seen this or have any ideas?

First thing: get it away form the 'tech" @ the dealer. How do you know the fuel system checked out? Do you have the required pressure? First thing I would look at is a weak fuel pump relay then the pump. Next fuel pressure regulator. When the pump went out for the second time on the 62 it would be fine most of the time but would stutter at slow speeds.

The temp sensor is very easy to change; compared to most things on a 62. if it was bad it should still start but not rev as high as normal on a cold start. if it is cold out it might be tough to start but it would be all the time.

If you dont want to puzzle this out find an independant TOY shop. The fuel injection system is very much the same on most all Toys of a given era.

GIve some more info on how it acts, conditions of no start, does it blow smoke when it starts etc....

First thing: get it away form the 'tech" @ the dealer. (I feel pretty good about this guy.)They spent quite a bit of time over a three day period checking it out and charged me nothing. I had taken it to an independent shop that has worked on it over the years. They changed a relay and charged me $325 then said it needed to go to the dealer for the diagnostics centering on the computer. But the dealer actually changed out the computer and the truck still wouldn't start. They didn't charge me for that either. How do you know the fuel system checked out? I quized him about this. I am an old MG owner so I know about faulty fuel systems. He said the pressure in the sytem was great. Do you have the required pressure? First thing I would look at is a weak fuel pump relay then the pump. If the pump and really were bad how is it that a samll amount of fuel sprayed in the hose will start it right up?Next fuel pressure regulator. When the pump went out for the second time on the 62 it would be fine most of the time but would stutter at slow speeds. No stuttering although it is driving rough. The first mechanic said that is the result of a faulty injector that has nothing to do with the starting problem.

The temp sensor is very easy to change; compared to most things on a 62. if it was bad it should still start but not rev as high as normal on a cold start. if it is cold out it might be tough to start but it would be all the time. The weather has been great here in Alabama so cold does not seem to be a factor.

If you dont want to puzzle this out find an independant TOY shop. The fuel injection system is very much the same on most all Toys of a given era.

GIve some more info on how it acts, conditions of no start, does it blow smoke when it starts etc.... It does blow smoke but it has done that for a long time. When this first started I thought it just neede a tune up. But that had no effect. Sometimes It would start right up and then at others nothing. It just grinds although I can leave it alone and come back thirty minutes later and it starts right up. According to the tech at the dealer everything checks out fine. I am really panicked that I have a problem that cannot be fixed that would even keep me from being able to sell it. Tough getting to work without a vehicle. I am the original owner.

[quote author=DavidJ link=board=1;threadid=7782;start=msg65363#msg65363 date=1069288309]
I have an 88 Cruiser that has an intermittent problem - most times it will not start. The problem appears to be that it is not getting any gas. The fuel system checks out okay.
[/quote]

Not to overstate the obvious, but apparently this is not true. Generally two things will keep a car from starting, ignition or fuel. If the truck is in fact not getting fuel, then the fuel system is not ok. Having owned a 62, I would follow David's recommendations along with maybe checking out the injectors and most of the related wiring harness. Your technician might be a great guy, but he ain't solving your problem.

I don't have the experience to second-guess a dealership tech, BUT I wouldn't over look the obvious either. Check for proper voltage at the fuel pump while cranking. Low voltage due to a wiring fault can cause poor fuel delivery even though pressure seems fine with the injectors closed (often how pressure is checked...by jumping 12v to the pump or jumping the relay.) A check of fuel delivery volume may be in order.

You say the problem is intermittent? If the fuel pump has over 150,000 miles on it, you may want to go take a second look at it. FJ62 fuel pumps sometimes have the integrated pop-off valve intermittently fail, and won't allow fuel pressure to build until the sticky valve closes. This is how mine acted before the pump was replaced. It would start right away sometimes, and other times it would crank and crank. Does the fuel pressure read the same when cranking with no start as it does when running?

Hope this helps. Good luck!

maybe I should not have slammed your tech ??? But the system is not all that complicated and is not prone to failure. I am not sure why any good shop could not check out the computer; there are resistance checks and flow charts in the OEM books.

Do a search here. When you said that you could let it sit for 30 minutes and it would crank sounds a lot like a recent issue a guy here had. I cant remember the fix but you should be able to find it. it was somthing to do with the pressure regulator building up pressure and somthing, somthing and then it was fixed by elves :flipoff2: really, search for it. Sorry I cant remember

It is possible that an injector might cause the stumble issue but there are a lot of other little issues that could also cause it.

I am far from an expert on the EFI. What I have learned is that it does make sense with the OEM book in hand and some paitence.

That was me. It was the fuel pressure regulator. It was failing closed, causing the check valve on the fuel pump to get stuck closed, causing frustrating intermittent starting.

The part is about $120 list retail, cheaper from discount dealers like CDan's. It's held on by two bolts and connected to the fuel system with one bolt - a 15 minute job only because it's hard to get at one of the bolts. My Cruiser started IMMEDIATELY after replacing the FPR and has been running smoother and stronger since, with more power and better mpg.

No elves were harmed in this repair. :flipoff2:

See my previous thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=6667;start=msg54399#msg54399

SST Magic Elves

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom