88 BJ74 pre-heat not working? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Man, I hate that the search function is so screwed up anymore!

So, my new-to-me 88 BJ74 with the 13BT has never shown the pre-heat light coming on but I read enough to learn that it might not come on until it gets cold. Last night we got into the high 30’s and I paid attention when I tried to start the truck this morning. Still no light. It always starts incredibly easily but this morning it started as normal but stalled again within about a second. Same thing on the second attempt. Started and ran a bit rough on the third but soon smoothed out. So... I’m pretty sure my pre-heat is not working as it should. Are there any troubleshooting guides at write-ups on this system? Surely this has come up before. :)

I have no idea how to fix the pre heater Darryl but if you start it up when it is really cold then use the hand throttle for the first minute or 2 at a bit higher idle.It shoukd stay running like that and smooth out soon enough.

can't swear to it but I believe the pre heat doesn't kick in till 0... or 32 degrees for you US guys. And yep it can be an issue!
Get you a Wilson switch (a quick search will find it). Which reminds me, I still need to do that mod myself.

Awesome info guys! Thank you. Sounds like I was a little premature in my expectation of the glowscreen functioning. Looks like I will be wiring in an NC momentary switch in the next day or so. Simple enough fix.

while you guys at it, anyone with ideas or has a front L/H flare to suit BJ73 MWB LX 1985 model? ideas on roof rack and offcourse need little bit of extra power, looking for guys in Melbourne with BJ73 or Fj73 clubs

If you disconnect the preheat temperature sensor on the thermostat housing [the one with two wires] the preheat should activate every time the engine is started. This is the easiest way to troubleshoot the preheat or get to to activate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom