87 4Runner Half doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can't weld, cut, or grind for s*** so this oughtta go well. Have to do something to keep me sane.

Marked it out earlier this week
DoorMods0.jpeg

Cut out the door handle section separately in-case I want to try and use it later.
DoorMods3.jpeg

First cuts inside.
DoorMods2.jpeg

First cuts outside

DoorMods1.jpeg

Estimated incorrectly on where the outside of the door should land and make my cut at the back of the door a little too far back. Stopped myself from making any cuts on the front of the door and ground my edges straight and smooth and paused here for the night. Probably start back up come morning.

I just finished my set. I hope those were extra doors and not your only ones! Do yourself a favor and put a cup holder in. I didn’t and now I’m going to go back and add one.

3867A8A5-47EA-4DB3-BA1B-172905B2FAC5.jpeg

Red is a great color on these trucks. Love the pic of your little man in the seat and really like your doors. That's exactly why I'm doing this. My boys love daddy's truck. Want to keep the doorless feel but provide a way to keep shoes and toys inside the truck.

Cupholder is mandatory. I found a thread of good (bad) ideas on the Marlin Crawler board, one of which was welding some exhaust pipe in as a cupholder. Hell, that was half the motivation! Tired of not having a cupholder.

And, yeah, these are my only doors. But she's been door and topless for about 2 years straight. She's basically a beater of a truck. A few rust spots, plastic's all sunbeat to crap, interior a bit tore up, and the PO did an Earl Schive color conversion from rootbeer brown to blue. You can see it all over with paint peeling here and there, and in the rust around the windshield moulding, and any time you remove something. Blew the HG some time ago and rebuilt that. The motor probably isn't too terribly long for this world judging by the rod knock. Redid the clutch about 20k miles ago, and put new suspension under her since the old bounced on the freeway like a jack Russel terrier.

Just gonna get enjoyment outta her while I can and learn as much as I can along the way.

Oxy 00 and 0 cutting and welding torch heads get here next week and I've picked up some sheet metal to practice on before I lay into my doors. I've got square tubing to add structure since they're floppy and I'd like to be able to stand on them when closed.

We'll see how it goes - if they'll be my shame or my pride. :)

I’d just use cutting/grinding wheels if you are making mostly straight cuts. Torch/plasma is handy for curved areas.

I went super ghetto on the door releases and just tied a loop of chord around the mechanism. You can pull it from the inside or the outside.

Being somewhere it didn’t rain or get cold would be amazing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom