8274 diagnosis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I managed to put together a free 8274 that my bro gave me. Its an older type low serial numbers. but still in the 8274 range according to the spec sheets I got off the net.

two questions. I need to get the brake pucks as I dont have any, Does any one have extras, does Warn still carry them, or do I need to upgrade the brake system, I as May have read earlier? I still have the brake material rings in good shape, Just no pucks at all.

Second, The drum of the unit seems to have excessive play where it is mated to the housing. I mean if you tilt the unit up with the drum and cable off the ground it will wiggle in all directions about 1/8th of an inch or more. it also seemed to leak out about a thimble full of oil in 3 days or so from probably the seal. Would you recommend the lower housing service kit with the new seal thrust washer etc. Do you think this will correct the play in the drum or is everyone elses like this. Or could it be something more major.

Also, I need a plastic cover where the remote plugs into and a remote to match, Either 3 or 5 pin. Anyone got those items lying around?

Thanks, Warren.

Upgrade your brake system....Warn does not offer service pieces for the older brake....

Sounds like you also need a lower drum seal and bushing kit, which, will end the slop in the drum you are talking about....that kit is less than 20.00us.

Good luck!

-Steve

Damn, I forgot how fast you are Steve.

Is the lower drum seal and bushing kit the same as the lower housing service kit?

Yes, and it is just as easy as it looks to install.

:beer:

Yepper, Read both of those. I managed to get the brake back together and not loose any ball bearings So I know I can do it again. I replaced all 4 solinoids I got for Auto Value for 9 bucks a piece. Kept the old ones just in case. Bench tested it and it works fine.

I put it on the ground and two days later noticed the aforementioned oil which I think is leaking from the lower unit.

Rebuild kits on the way as well as a brake upgrade.

zetasig said:
I replaced all 4 solinoids I got for Auto Value for 9 bucks a piece.

If these solenoids are not rated for continuous duty like the Warn units are, I would not run them. They will work for a short time, but could likely stick in the on position and create all sorts of drama for you sometime. Warn does not sell the old can-style solenoid any longer, but a quick search on Google should provide you with a couple aftermarket winch parts houses that sell them....They are not that much more $$$.

:beer:

The ones I got are Tru-tech, SS581T and one SS588T the later is vented.

Starter solenoids are not continuous duty rated....

Poser said:
Starter solenoids are not continuous duty rated....

He knows. Really.:grinpimp:

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom