80 vs 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the market for my first LC/LX and am stuck between choosing an 80 or a 100 series. I will be using this for doing an overland build. I will be doing day trips to local fire service roads, with some overnight camping here and there. I hope to do at least one multi-day over landing trip a year.

The 80 is obviously more capable and it seems easier to do suspension mods on, plus it just has that old school cool aesthetic. The draw of the hundred series is it seems to be larger and more comfortable, which may become important down the line as I have two small children. I'm afraid that if I get an 80 that they will not want to spend all day in the backseat, let alone and multi-day camping trip on the trail. It seems like even though it isn't quite as capable as the 80 series, it is plenty capable for my needs. The only downside I see is it doesn't look as cool and it is much more complicated when it comes to wrenching. I'm not a super good mechanic but I know how to follow YouTube video, and my brother is CAT mechanic who owns a 91 FJ80.

Another part of my conundrum is how the market is right now. For example for $8k I found a very clean 91 FJ 80, with 270k miles. I also found an LX 450 with an ARB bumper and winch that has 205k miles, asking $12k. For the hundred series I have found a few examples that are between 150 and 200,000 mi and they're asking prices have been $14k to $17k. It seems like for not a whole lot more money I can get a newer platform as a base for my build. My rational side says 100 series is the better choice but my emotional side is telling me I may regret not getting an 80, though I am concerned about buying a 30-year-old vehicle with such high miles, as well as fitting a family of four in it for years to come.

What should I do?!

If you get an 80, try to get a '95 - '97 (easier to get parts for) and avoid '91 and '92 (3FE engine which is a little weak for the mass of an 80). Just my 2 cents.

At least on the east coast, the 100s are much more prone to rust.

If you get an 80, try to get a '95 - '97 (easier to get parts for) and avoid '91 and '92 (3FE engine which is a little weak for the mass of an 80). Just my 2 cents.

At least on the east coast, the 100s are much more prone to rust.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in California, so as long as I find a native vehicle I won't have to worry about rust, thankfully. My brother is warning me about buying a high mile (200k+) FZJ80, saying that if I do, I better be ready to spend $2k at some point to do head gaskets, and any other associated damage from them failing. How real of a concern is this?

By the way, this is my first post here, is there a better forum to ask this question? I figured if I posted in either the 80 or 100 forum I would get biased answers, so I picked this one since this is ultimately what I want to do with the vehicle.

There’s a good chance that an FZJ80 with 200k has already had the HG done. If not, I agree with your brother that replacing the HG is very likely.

I agree with you on the forum bias. Whatever you do, avoid asking a question like this in Chit Chat.

Not sure how an 80 would be considered more capable for the work you’d be using this vehicle for. Yes, you can stuff 37s under an 80 and run the rubi with relatively less effort than trying to fit 35s on a hundy and squeeze it’s rotund figure through the same trails. But for general fire roads, daily driving, and overlanding use on most trails I can’t see why a 2x locked hundy with a proper lift and m/ts wouldn’t absolutely be a dream for you.

I have a well maintained completely rust free ‘98 2x locked 100 for sale in VA with cosmetic issues but a long list of work I’ve done to get it mechanically sound. I’m asking $10k. Don’t mean to hijack thread, but felt like it could be what you’re looking for here. Welcome to PM if you have any questions / are interested.

There’s a good chance that an FZJ80 with 200k has already had the HG done. If not, I agree with your brother that replacing the HG is very likely.

I agree with you on the forum bias. Whatever you do, avoid asking a question like this in Chit Chat.
Why not on chit chat? Will I just get roasted?

Not sure how an 80 would be considered more capable for the work you’d be using this vehicle for. Yes, you can stuff 37s under an 80 and run the rubi with relatively less effort than trying to fit 35s on a hundy and squeeze it’s rotund figure through the same trails. But for general fire roads, daily driving, and overlanding use on most trails I can’t see why a 2x locked hundy with a proper lift and m/ts wouldn’t absolutely be a dream for you.

I have a well maintained completely rust free ‘98 2x locked 100 for sale in VA with cosmetic issues but a long list of work I’ve done to get it mechanically sound. I’m asking $10k. Don’t mean to hijack thread, but felt like it could be what you’re looking for here. Welcome to PM if you have any questions / are interested.

Thanks for the offer, but that's too far for me. Why are you selling the 100? Part of me wants to get an 80 to be able to do stuff like the Rubicon, which is only a couple hours away from my house. But in all reality with the wife and two young children, I think I'll spend a lot more time on fire roads in the Sierra Nevada's than on the Rubicon or in Moab.

Correct

Why not on chit chat? Will I just get roasted?

Thanks for the offer, but that's too far for me. Why are you selling the 100? Part of me wants to get an 80 to be able to do stuff like the Rubicon, which is only a couple hours away from my house. But in all reality with the wife and two young children, I think I'll spend a lot more time on fire roads in the Sierra Nevada's than on the Rubicon or in Moab.
Oh man. I’m tired. I read your post and saw Carolina instead of California. I have an eye exam scheduled for tomorrow actually... maybe it’s about time. Just selling because the gas was killing me as I drive a 60mi at the minimum round trip for work every day, and even at Costco my tanks were costing upwards of $70. Would like to build a house soon, and would love to keep my landy but for now I bought a tiny reg cab 4x4 Tacoma that will be replaced by another cruiser soon enough. There is no better vehicle. Also feel way better about loading up the truck bed with wood and tools rather than the trunk of my 100.

Oh man. I’m tired. I read your post and saw Carolina instead of California. I have an eye exam scheduled for tomorrow actually... maybe it’s about time. Just selling because the gas was killing me as I drive a 60mi at the minimum round trip for work every day, and even at Costco my tanks were costing upwards of $70. Would like to build a house soon, and would love to keep my landy but for now I bought a tiny reg cab 4x4 Tacoma that will be replaced by another cruiser soon enough. There is no better vehicle. Also feel way better about loading up the truck bed with wood and tools rather than the trunk of my 100.
Oh haha that makes sense. Good luck with the Tacoma, I have a soft spot in my heart for regular cab trucks. One day when the kids are in college...

Age and condition will have a much bigger impact on cost of ownership than the difference in purchase prices you may be considering. Baselining and repair costs can easily run 4 or 5 thousand bucks on an older land cruiser that needs attention.

In any case, I'd go drive examples of each to decide which you want and then look for the example of that vehicle that best matches your budget and desire to do deferred maintenance or make repairs. Be sure to compare examples of similar condition if you can and I think you'll find that 80s are more refined than you may be thinking. 100s are really nice and the ifs is an improvement in most cases but a well sorted and reasonably setup 80 is also really comfortable on short or long trips. Larger mud tires, stiffer springs, extra weight, lifts, etc. can make any truck handle less well but if you don't alter an 80 a lot from stock (or modify it well) it's a very nice riding and well mannered vehicle. Drive a nice lx470 though if you want to feel an exceptionally comfortable ride! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom