80 series Steering Box rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOAZtim

Car Camping round the world
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
So, we're out near Mt. Augusta and fluid is pouring out of the steering shaft input.
We're trying to get a seal kit on the way from Cruiser Outfitters, buy does anyone in town rebuild them?

It's a LHD HDJ80, but I think the box is the same as an FZJ80. Not 100% sure.

May just do it ourselves at a friend's warehouse, but I'll need a press or arm puller.

Limping back and adding fluid every few miles. 😬

Thank you guys in advance.
Tim

PXL_20210602_185427060.jpg

Made it to Reno. Took a little over 5 quarts. Rust preventative fluid all over the truck. Haha.
Redhead rebuilt box on order. Hoping we can swap it out and get the core sent back fairly easily. Planning to rent a pitman arm puller and do the job in the parking lot of a buddies company. Haha! We'll see how that goes!

Just saw this. I have a gear box sitting in a non running FJ80. You could have it and then send it back to me once you get yours rebuilt. You may have already sorted this out.

Just saw this. I have a gear box sitting in a non running FJ80. You could have it and then send it back to me once you get yours rebuilt. You may have already sorted this out.
Cheers, really appreciate the offer. Looks like the Redhead should arrive today or in the morning if shipping goes to plan.
Tim

Well, Redhead arrived, but it's different than our HDJ80 box. We need some new input and output lines made by a hydraulic shop in town. Any ideas of where to go?

Going to call every autoparts place in town to see if they have the lines we need, but assuming we'll need to get some made an a hydraulic shop.

If you can figure out a way to use an adapter to match your old lines, that would make it easier or use U.S. spec 80 lines and adapt them to your box. I try to get rid of proprietary hard to find things and convert as simply as I can to parts that are easier to source. There are multiple hydraulic supply places in Sparks. There has to be someone around that can make or adapt what you need.

If you can figure out a way to use an adapter to match your old lines, that would make it easier or use U.S. spec 80 lines and adapt them to your box. I try to get rid of proprietary hard to find things and convert as simply as I can to parts that are easier to source. There are multiple hydraulic supply places in Sparks. There has to be someone around that can make or adapt what you need.
The other issue is the progressive power box is a bit longer so the shorter fzj box doesn't let the splines engage enough on the steering shaft so we need to find a longer collar or an fzj steering shaft. Sending our box to Redhead for rebuild is looking better and better I think.

I know a guy that might have an fj80 shaft. Is there a difference between the 91-92 and later shafts?

Well, Redhead arrived, but it's different than our HDJ80 box. We need some new input and output lines made by a hydraulic shop in town. Any ideas of where to go?

Going to call every autoparts place in town to see if they have the lines we need, but assuming we'll need to get some made an a hydraulic shop.
Western Industrial Supply (Louie Lane) or Parker Hose (Rock Blvd) will make hydraulic hoses while you wait. You can also get adaptor fittings at Summit Racing on Glendale. I would check Summit first since adaptors are the path of least resistance.

Sent the factory steering box off to Redhead yesterday so hopefully in a week or so we'll have that to install. We ordered up the frame bracing kit from Delta. Our FZJ never showed any cracks, but I guess these earlier 80's have more issues and I see what looks like some hairline cracks where the steering box mounts. We're going to pull the new box that doesn't fit off and wire wheel the frame in prep for the frame plates. Weld on these braces and have it ready to go for when the box arrives.

IF ANYONE NEEDS DOBINSON REAR SPRINGS, let us know. C59-169. They are 2" lift springs for 220lbs if constant load. We had to go to a slightly higher rate spring since we run the Aux tank full most of the time and the rear was hanging too low. If you want to give us gas money great, but no worries. Better yet, if you bring some beer by the shop that's been so nice to let us get in their way and keep the truck parked all the better. If you want the springs let me know and I'll shoot you over the address.
Dobinsons Rear Coil Springs for Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series 1990-1997 2.0 - https://www.dobinsonsdirect.com/products/dobinsons-rear-coil-spring-for-toyota-land-cruiser-80-series-1990-1997-c59-169
Dobinsons-Rear-Coil-Springs-for-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-80-series_b775db29-ae87-46f5-b6d3-fbea7679123b_1024x1024.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom