80 series carpet available now. Matching mats available also (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interested... Sounds like DNP has a great product and customer service.

Question for fellow Mudders...

Leaning towards mass backed. I've read in other threads that some do the sound deadening and NO mass backing, whereas some do BOTH the sound deadening with mass backing.

Question is... Is it worthwhile to do BOTH sound deadening AND mass backing? Is it a much, much, much more a quieter ride? Versus... Is it plenty quiet with just the mass backing and NO sound deadening?

Just trying to figure out if the juice is worth the squeeze. I get it if you do both, cost (and install time) increases, and that it is also a matter of personal preference on how quiet you want your cabin to be. Not focused on additional cost for sound deadening or added installation effort for mass backing. Also, not going for a soundproof cabin where you can't hear a low flying 747 or F-18 flying by. I'm with the general understanding that doing BOTH or just the mass backing will certainly be a more quieter ride than it is now with the old carpet.

I like a quiet interior as much as the next guy - just wanted to know if anyone can say from driving experience and share their "cabin quietness" thoughts on just the mass backing only vs doing BOTH with the sound deadening.

Thanks all in advance!
I can report back once installed as I got the mass backing. At the moment, I can only tell you that I did the mass backing specifically so I wouldnt need to do dynamat. The stock interior has a sound deadener already applied with carpet pad and then the carpet. The mass backing will just add another layer with complete floor coverage; adding dynamat may have a negligible impact (mass should accomplish the same thing) given the combination of materials already applied to the floor.

I think money and time may be better spent with new door seals, window seals and running dynamat in the doors. The doors are just empty tin cans so even throwing an old tshirt in one would be an improvement. I havent looked at the roof but assuming there is nothing up there which would bounce sound a bit as well.

So i forgot to report on this. The Carpet is Auto Custom Carpets which is probably some of the best aftermarket carpet you can get but I would still order here as you will get a better deal.

The mass backing made the install annoyingly difficult but at the same time made it pretty easy to cut and trim with a razor knife. In hindsight I would consider installing dynamat instead of opting for the massbacking just due to the fact thats its difficult to work with and the molded areas of the carpet werent exactly perfect, maybe an 80% fit or so. The massbacking also makes the carpet thicker so things like trim and the dead pedal don't exactly fit. So in general things just dont't have the fit they did when adding the mass backing. I took a dremel to the bottom of the rear side cargo manuels just to trim the bottoms a bit to fit better with the carpet.

From a sound perspective, it's hard to assess as I drove without carpet and door trim for a bit until it was all installed and a large amount of sound was road noise from the floor. With the new carpeting and mass backing, most of the sound from the floor is gone, any kind of whine, hum, tire noise etc was all but removed but still lots of noise just from the engine, wind, and general driving noise you would expect. It should be quieter than factory. Thermal heat insulation seems to be improved as well after recently winter camping with the rear heater removed, zero issues keeping the cruiser warm while driving and camping.

Its definitely a good carpet and good option for replacement, I would probably try the non-backing next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom