79 BJ40 350,& Auto tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
??? OK guys, I'm going to install a real fresh, 1989 Camero, 350 with a automatic tranny into my 1979 BJ 40. Question? which tranny is the most common to use? I've read that the 700 R4 is pretty respectable. Advance Adapters has the parts..... is every one happy with the results ????

Any comments on TBI versus normal carburation? I've read good and bad on both.... any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Got a great fabricator/mechanic helping me, very experienced so the install should go pretty smoothly. Any suggestions comments would be greatly apreciated.

Get out your tape measure. The autos are pretty long. Your rear driveline will be short. Put your eng as far forward as you dare.

Where are you located and are you tossing the B engine and tranny? I would like to pick it (and the rest of the diesel related pieces) up if that's the case. I don't mind rebuilding it if that's required.

Engine forward, for sure. Could replace the engine fan with an electric to get a little more? You may also have a front driveline clearance problem with the 700R, but there are a couple of ways to get around it. Unfortunately, you may not be able to tell how it's going to shape up until everything is in place. My friend had to bash the transmission pan with a hammer and smear a bunch of liquid metal on it AND have a smaller diameter shaft built. I've seen photos where guys just grind the yoke and/or shaft until they get clearance.

You could offset the engine toward the driver's side but then you start running up against the steering box, unless you convert the steering. (Does a BJ have that goshawful gear box standing on the frame inside the fender like the FJ?)

Just a note. My friend likes his 700R a lot, especially for daily use. He hasn't wheeled it at all, though. Have to ask someone else about off-road manners. :)

It's possible to move things up a great deal. Another space saver is to use a short water pump and move the radiator forward. After doing that I was able to get 8 inches forward from stock and still had enough room for a clutch fan. Also, like Theo said, move engine over to driver side to help with the front driveshaft issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom