'78 Fusible link........really? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So recently I cleaned up my battery cables and connections and noticed that what appears to be my "fusible link" has no fuse! A friend said his old Nissan "fusible link" was nothing more than a short run of a different type of wire designed to fail if overloaded. Is this what Toyota does also? And if so is this what should be there? PO's have buggered up so many things on my rig so who knows? What do others have on their '78 FJ40's??? Help
Link.jpg

That is stock. It can be replaced with an appropriately sized breaker or even a more modern blade style fuseable link. If your concerned about not having extras you can get replacements from coolerman

Thanks antFJ. So it is a wire designed to fail? Good to know, will probably get a backup from coolerman

the outer wrap on the wire makes it look like the same gauge of the wires next to it but it is not. The coating should not catch on fire it should only melt. The actual copper wire inside is quite thin.

Any parts store will have a fusible link, just get the same size. Yes it is designed to fail when the circuit is over loaded. Usually after a failure, the the insulation will be "swollen". Easy to replace.

Very cool. Ant I checked out coolerman's site and his fusible link for my rig(manu date 10/78) looks quite different. I would like to carry a backup for sure.

your picture matches that.

however your build date seems like it should be a 1979 and not a 1978 - either way he has fusible links for those too - just scroll down the page

if I use blade style for my fusible link (Feb 79': white/lt blu at battery) what size fuse should I use?

if I use blade style for my fusible link (Feb 79': white/lt blu at battery) what size fuse should I use?

DO NOT USE a Blade type fuse and you will not find out ,

contact the link above @Coolerman @ Global Software

the blades fuses are not a reliable fusible link approach ....

DO NOT USE a Blade type fuse and you will not find out ,

contact the link above @Coolerman @ Global Software

the blades fuses are not a reliable fusible link approach ....
Not doubting what you wrote, but do you know why it is so?

(Asking because I have an in-line, bladed minifuse protecting a fuel injection computer and am wondering if I should rethink that approach)

I think the fusible link can handle the resistance for a lo get period of time, without burning up. Where a blade style fuse will trip at the same level of resistance. So people end up using a bigger(more Amp) fuse to keep it from tripping during startup. Doing this does not give the wire harness the same level of protection.

Not doubting what you wrote, but do you know why it is so?

(Asking because I have an in-line, bladed minifuse protecting a fuel injection computer and am wondering if I should rethink that approach)
This is what J1292 says about it:

View attachment 3058358

This is the test from J156

View attachment 3058360

I think I read somewhere that the max length of the fusible link is 9" and it must be installed within 12" of the battery but I don't have that document to quote for sure.

what @Engineer8000 says above and documents is all the reasons and more ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom