75 springs problem in Tanzania (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear All,

I am overlanding around Africa in my HZJ75. I have suspension problems now, as having a leaf break in the rear happens too often (2 in 30 days now, another one a few months back) .

I bought the car used, it is now almost 20 years old. I run 1250kg on the front and 1900 in the rear axle. Max. weight.

On the front I have 6 leaves and I have never had any problems.

In the rear I have 10 leaves, one of which is thinner than the others, but was already installed when I bought the car. One I added while on the road. The leaves are quite curved so whenever I replace a broken leaf I need to have it bent. This is of course not easy.

The car is flat, the ride is hard. The shackles are reinforced but original size. They are vertical. My assumption is that the leaves break because they are too curved. Eg. the bump stop never gets into action.

I am in Arusha, Tanzania now and have the option to buy Peddlers which is rated for 1000 kg (or the one lighter). Significantly cheaper is a red spring with an inscription "Belton Redspring". Of course no info is available on them.

Being on the road buying a set that would cause me problems is a big no-no, I cannot take the springs back to the shop. I am also worried that springs with smaller curve will not keep the car horizontal.

I am really not an expert on this and would very much appreciate any advice on how to make a good decision.

Caaba

you can go anywere in Arusha and will find a replacement or a mechanic will be able to make e, or adapt a leaf spring .
the reason why your leaf springs are breaking , may be due to age + excessive weight , and hard roads .
replace what you can and keep overlanding .

keep us informed .

bye Renago

I would probably ditch the rear suspension and start again. Is it possible it has the wrong springs? What sort of shocks do you have? I imagine good shocks would take some of the brutality out of the pot holes and help stop the leaves from breaking.
I have done 1000s of klms of bad roads in outback Australia and never broken a spring

Hello,

I would ditch the suspension and replace it, both springs and shocks, and start again. Any chance you can go to the local Toyota parts vendor?

Leaf spring curving/arcing may may have damaged the heat treatment and made the leafs prone to cracking.

It is also possible that the previous owner tried to make leaf springs for a different car fit into your 75.

The parts catalog mentions heavy duty leaf spring assemblies include six leafs. OME shows eight. Ten might be too much.

Your shocks may need replacement as well.

Juan

I suspect the springs had sagged, then cold pressed to reset. spring hangers should be 15 degrees of vertical. the springs were pressed to hard which stops them flexing and gives a hard ride ultimately cause failure. Check that wedges haven't been added between spring and axle,will cause failer as well. Dump springs and get new. I have had the same after market springs for 30yrs without sag.
Try these guys. I googled them no idea who they are
17264480_1853799908194499_4206223055805372745_n.jpg

I also think that age, weight, pressing, heating and bad roads could all contribute, that's why I would like to replace the whole set. My shocks are Koni, seem to be okay, a shock mechanic drove my car a few thousand kms ago and found no problem.
Unfortunately Belton Malaysia is not responding and Toyota Arusha does not have springs.
Do you think buying a set of Peddlers could cause any problems? Belton is so cheap, 200 USD per side cannot really be reliable, can it?

Belton is so cheap, 200 USD per side cannot really be reliable, can it?

In Australia thats the high end price. I can get leaf springs for a 75 series from reputable companies for about $150usd each . Belton are quite ok. As I mentioned before Old Man Emu were packaging Belton as their own spring a few years back and there were no complaints that I ever heard of. Pedders are a well known suspension company in Australia.

So I took another tour around the shops to see the options more closely.
The one with the strange lengths is Belton, no helper leaves but some short ones in the bottom.
The 12 curved leaves was claimed to be Rob's Magic or Australian, but it probably isn't. It looks good, but again, no helpers.
As a third option I was offered the springs for HZJ75 pickup, but that's over 500usd a side.

20170926_154257.jpg

20170926_154139.jpg

20170926_145901.jpg

Neither of them look top of the range to me . Good leaf springs are tapered at the end, but they are probably better than what you have now.
I wouldn't be paying $500 a side though. Can you patch up the existing suspension and get to another city where they may have something better?

Neither of them look top of the range to me . Good leaf springs are tapered at the end, but they are probably better than what you have now.

Hello,

x2.

US$ 500 per side is not a bad price if it is OEM. In my neck of the woods, it is more expensive than that.

Make sure the springs are Toyota and get them if you can.

Juan

Well, that's a bummer. I actually started to get used to the idea of getting the Belton as it was said to be a reputable company. Also because 1000+usd is really stretching my budget.The genuine Toyota is also not tapered.
Unfortunately Belton did not reply to my email regarding the ratings.
I can get to Nairobi, but I am not sure what I can find there. In Arusha there are many similar Land Cruisers.
What difference does it make that some springs have flat thick leaves in the bottom, others are all same and curved?
Many thanks for your comments and opinions!

What difference does it make that some springs have flat thick leaves in the bottom, others are all same and curved?

its hard to say, some suspension companies slip some rubbish steel in with good steel . At $200 for the beltons, its not too much to risk. And Beltons have a good name in Australia. Just not sure what you have there. I would probably risk the Beltons.

Generally 2 big fat steel bar at the bottom , will hold any weight when the other leafs flatten out .
with all steel semi elliptical leaf same thickness , you should have a more firm , and stiff ride .
very much depends on steel quality .
depends very much how many kg you have on the car .
If you can reach Nairobi , I would certainly go there .
all importers and major companies are from Nairobi .
will only be a bit more time consuming as it is a big and wide city .

bye Renago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom