74 from 76 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It’s a pity that Toyota stopped the mid wheelbase LC 70 production. It supposed to be the best from both world (offroad & comfort). Another option is to shorten the 76 to 74. Just wonder if someone put such idea into practice?
B601154D-9BAE-4E08-913F-DAB63BFB644B.png

Just so you'll know you're not the only crazy one out there I'll reply. Yes' I've thought about this for a long time.....ever since I replaced my old BJ70 with an LJ73. Oh I hear the nay-sayers already......replace a heavy duty with a light duty;and one with the dreaded 2LT engine to boot!! Yepp' thats what I did....and the LJ was like a breath of fresh air. Better ride, better handling on road and off-road both, much more power, perfect compromise in size, no engine trouble. Yeah I said no engine trouble. 33" tires with no need for a lift. I loved it BUT I hated the dorky removable plastic top for a number of reasons.
Decided the only way to have a real hardtop mid-wheelbase was build it...but I have zero fab skills. I live in the backwoods and couldn't find anyone willing to tackle a project like this. But I did a lot of measuring and figuring anyway. Easiest way is start with a 73, get a 77 or 78 body , remove a 6 or 7" section just behind the a pillar, slide the back section forward and glue it back togeather. Could even keep the rear side glass. You end up with a mid-wheelbase, true hard top. It's the Cruiser Toyota never built but should have. I actually had the 73 and found a 78 body tub and had a little money but found no-one to do the hard part so it never happened and now that I'm OLD and broke I reckon it never will.

Just so you'll know you're not the only crazy one out there I'll reply. Yes' I've thought about this for a long time.....ever since I replaced my old BJ70 with an LJ73. Oh I hear the nay-sayers already......replace a heavy duty with a light duty;and one with the dreaded 2LT engine to boot!! Yepp' thats what I did....and the LJ was like a breath of fresh air. Better ride, better handling on road and off-road both, much more power, perfect compromise in size, no engine trouble. Yeah I said no engine trouble. 33" tires with no need for a lift. I loved it BUT I hated the dorky removable plastic top for a number of reasons.
Decided the only way to have a real hardtop mid-wheelbase was build it...but I have zero fab skills. I live in the backwoods and couldn't find anyone willing to tackle a project like this. But I did a lot of measuring and figuring anyway. Easiest way is start with a 73, get a 77 or 78 body , remove a 6 or 7" section just behind the a pillar, slide the back section forward and glue it back togeather. Could even keep the rear side glass. You end up with a mid-wheelbase, true hard top. It's the Cruiser Toyota never built but should have. I actually had the 73 and found a 78 body tub and had a little money but found no-one to do the hard part so it never happened and now that I'm OLD and broke I reckon it never will.
Cool story! Yes, a short cut from long 76/77/78 should be fine!

Joe, You are absolutely right! When we were still in warm sunny Tn. topless was OK 7 months a year, but now that we are in the north woods not far from Lake Superior summers are COOL and Short. A hardtop MWB with a really good heater would be the ultimate cruiser.......OR maybe it's just my age. Us old folks get cold really easy.

Joe, You are absolutely right! When we were still in warm sunny Tn. topless was OK 7 months a year, but now that we are in the north woods not far from Lake Superior summers are COOL and Short. A hardtop MWB with a really good heater would be the ultimate cruiser.......OR maybe it's just my age. Us old folks get cold really easy.
The FRP top probably insulates better against cold then the tin metal roof , I grew up in cold miserable weather with short "cooler" summers which made those few days of topless summer driving even better then here in Texas where the top stays off for 10 months of the year.

10 months a year would be nice.......BUT ya'll got those GREAT BIG rattlesnakes!!

ye

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom