70/71/73/74's how do you pack when getting ready for a trip? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do you short and mid wheel bases pack up when getting ready for a trip?

I'm looking for ideas while keeping the rear bench seat since I have a dog and my daughter. but while my J73 is out of commission i'm looking for ideas on how I'd set up and travel minimally with my family.

- Andrew

First thing you need is some tie down points so the load doesnt come rushing forward in an emergency stop. I used to have some black plastic containers with lids that worked well.
Or you could put a false floor or platform fitted with shelving.

Something like this but shorter to suit the MWB or SWB. If you have tie down points just below the windows ,you can go even higher.

land75_3.jpg

First thing you need is some tie down points so the load doesnt come rushing forward in an emergency stop. I used to have some black plastic containers with lids that worked well.
Or you could put a false floor or platform fitted with shelving.

Something like this but shorter to suit the MWB or SWB. If you have tie down points just below the windows ,you can go even higher.

land75_3.jpg
Thanks, I was thinking on doing a false floor with some drawers eventually. building stationary boxes etc... I beleive there are tie down points in the back of my 73 already. I'll have to verify.

Thanks again for the input!

Some sort of shelf is vital to keep stuff organised in the back of a SWB. For a long time I just had some boxes with plastic bins inside. Simple & it worked well:

i-Vzh6j3G-S.jpg

Cheers
Clint

I was planning on a cargo barrier (metal or webbing). The interior height is 46", I was going to do 11-12" tall drawers and then a shelf so I can stack to the ceiling. Light stuff on top.

image.jpeg
How do you short and mid wheel bases pack up when getting ready for a trip?

I'm looking for ideas while keeping the rear bench seat since I have a dog and my daughter. but while my J73 is out of commission i'm looking for ideas on how I'd set up and travel minimally with my family.

- Andrew
I think @cruiserdan has the right idea on how to get the most out of a SWB / MWB Land Cruiser. :)

I was thinking on doing a false floor with some drawers eventually. building stationary boxes etc...

Yes and you could let it evolve. Put the false floor in first, they are good for keeping prying eyes off your goodies and the shopping has some shade. And yes, there are some tie down points, but from memory they were a bit flimsy looking.

I once owned a BJ71 and with the rear seat in place there was virtually no cargo space. In a SWB Cruiser your options seem relegated to packing light, installing a roof rack or hauling some style of trailer.

Yes and you could let it evolve. Put the false floor in first, they are good for keeping prying eyes off your goodies and the shopping has some shade. And yes, there are some tie down points, but from memory they were a bit flimsy looking.

I'll look closer at them after I move the truck into the garage.

I have a bit of a different take on this, learned from tripping in BJ74's for the past 15 years...

Being space constrained I have a 2 step process

1. Find boxes you like, that fit inside your truck. Other people have been sharing great ideas on boxes. I like the Wolf Pack Boxes. They nest for easy stacking and tie, down. They are small enough that you cannot pack them so full that you can't lift them, and offer mutiple options to arrange them in your truck, and other than the latches, they seem to be pretty durable.

2. then 'Think inside the box'. What I mean is, don't take what you might need.... take only what fit's in the box! Dedicate a box for kitchen, for food, for tools, for spares, for clothes, etc. Then, being space constrained by a box, you are forced to carefully consider what you REALLY need to bring. You start thinking of things like how a loaf of bread takes up a lot of space compared to a box of granola bars, or a bag of peanuts will last all night around the campfire and take up way less space than a bag of chips. You also consider - What can I bring that has more than one purpose?, and - did I really use that thing last time?, or - am I travelling with someone who has that tool or spare part, so I don't need to bring a duplicate, etc.

Example... in my 60 series, with vast expanses of space, I have an axe, a hatchet, and a hammer. In my BJ74, I will take my Estwing Fireside Friend hatchet, because I can make that one tool do all three.

"Thinking inside the Box" has really made me a more efficient packer, but has never left me without something I needed on a trip.

I have a bit of a different take on this, learned from tripping in BJ74's for the past 15 years...

Being space constrained I have a 2 step process

1. Find boxes you like, that fit inside your truck. Other people have been sharing great ideas on boxes. I like the Wolf Pack Boxes. They nest for easy stacking and tie, down. They are small enough that you cannot pack them so full that you can't lift them, and offer mutiple options to arrange them in your truck, and other than the latches, they seem to be pretty durable.

2. then 'Think inside the box'. What I mean is, don't take what you might need.... take only what fit's in the box! Dedicate a box for kitchen, for food, for tools, for spares, for clothes, etc. Then, being space constrained by a box, you are forced to carefully consider what you REALLY need to bring. You start thinking of things like how a loaf of bread takes up a lot of space compared to a box of granola bars, or a bag of peanuts will last all night around the campfire and take up way less space than a bag of chips. You also consider - What can I bring that has more than one purpose?, and - did I really use that thing last time?, or - am I travelling with someone who has that tool or spare part, so I don't need to bring a duplicate, etc.

Example... in my 60 series, with vast expanses of space, I have an axe, a hatchet, and a hammer. In my BJ74, I will take my Estwing Fireside Friend hatchet, because I can make that one tool do all three.

"Thinking inside the Box" has really made me a more efficient packer, but has never left me without something I needed on a trip.

This is a great way to think of things. Thank you!

I welded up a rack or shelf that I bolted onto the tie down points.
2 shelves of expanded steel and the top shelf is just netting for jackets and other random items.
i had more netting on the forward side to keep cargo from killing me.
I can't get at my pics from here.

I welded up a rack or shelf that I bolted onto the tie down points.
2 shelves of expanded steel and the top shelf is just netting for jackets and other random items.
i had more netting on the forward side to keep cargo from killing me.
I can't get at my pics from here.

Whenever you get the photos, I'd like to see them.

This is the best pic I have, taken before I added the netting.
Cheapo convertible top folds back without hitting the shelf.

The arms holding the frig down worked very well. Moving a sleeping bag off the lid gave me access to frig.
I may added frig drawer sliders this spring.

I have a bunch of Rubbermaid Action Packer boxes that fit in there perfectly.

upload_2018-12-14_15-58-56.png

It looks liek you still have the rear seat in too, that looks pretty good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom