#6 Piston Damage w/Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gasket head-side #6.

IMG_20180215_193009.jpg

IMG_20180215_193025.jpg

IMG_20180215_193038.jpg

Are you not going to pull that piston out for inspection ? It’s obvious by the picture you posted with the piston at BDC showing the cylinder wall is scored bad and surely the piston skirt is way worse. If your not planning to bore and rebuild the block then you should replace the entire engine from a wrecked cruiser unless your plans are to sell it after you get your 5 cylinder engine running. Buy a used engine and replace it’s headgasket before installing so you will have a reliable vehicle. Dont waste your money and half ass it back together.

I replaced the headgasket at 111k 11 years ago when i purchased it so this wouldnt happen. Still making 175psi compression on all 6 last summer when i replaced the spark plugs at165k mi. Dont have to worry about the headgasket blowing and washing the cylinder down with coolant causing the piston to scuff the cylinder or worse like what you have. Experience, 31 years as shop foreman at the same Honda Dealership. Find a good used running engine and replace the headgasket before you install it. Lots of wrecked cruiser getting parted out. Depending on the engine/ mileage it has you should be able to just replace the valve stem seals and clean up the head without any machine work. I dont recomend machining an overhead cam head for flatness at all and neither does Toyota.

I replaced the headgasket at 111k 11 years ago when i purchased it so this wouldnt happen. Still making 175psi compression on all 6 last summer when i replaced the spark plugs at165k mi. Dont have to worry about the headgasket blowing and washing the cylinder down with coolant causing the piston to scuff the cylinder or worse like what you have. Experience, 31 years as shop foreman at the same Honda Dealership. Find a good used running engine and replace the headgasket before you install it. Lots of wrecked cruiser getting parted out. Depending on the engine/ mileage it has you should be able to just replace the valve stem seals and clean up the head without any machine work. I dont recomend machining an overhead cam head for flatness at all and neither does Toyota.

One response a couple pages back mentioned the balance of the engine may be compromised from removing the pitting. I would add that my understanding is that on an inline engine you can get away with repairing 1 piston and dont have to do the others just for the sake of balance.

Thats all.

Not on a 4 stroke engine, must bore all holes. However its standard repair procedure on 2 cycle outboard engines to repair only the damaged cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom