5 Speed Shifter Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My brand new H55F is in and it makes my '60 run like a dream. I wonder why Toyota exported all the '60's to the US with a 4 speed?

Anyhow, I tied using my old 4 speed shifter by placing a ssmall plastic cup on the end of the shifter to fit in the round reciver in the 5 speed. It worked ok but shifting into 3rd was a bit hard.

I then bought a used 5 speed shifter from SOR but it came for a right hand drive :steer:. It shifts better but I gotta reach to get at it.

I also still need to double clutch sometimes to get into 3rd. I guess it will take a while for the new gears to wear in.

Any ideas if I can get a left hand (US) drive shifter for the 5 speed.:bang:

Mark

Yes. 5 speeds were sold into Canada, too. There is a shift lever assembly, a ball seat (which all appear to be the same), and a 5 speed knob. The part number for the shifter is 33530-60160

Maybe SOR would take yours back and give you a left hand drive. If you don't mind paying for a new one, CDan can get them. Or you could heat it up and bend it how you want it.

The third gear issue gets better, but I don't think it ever feels perfect. That's been my experience, and what I've heard from others. Just keep grinding till it self-clearances;)

I have about 600 miles on my 5 speed swap and yes the 3rd gear is a bit tough to get into at times but mostly downshifting. I find that if I just give it a jiggle it tends to shift a bit smoother.

same issue with SOR's euro shift handle.

clint

Mudrak told me to go into 3rd gear everytime before I go into reverse and it works. I never have problems going into reverse anymore.

I'd just heat up the shifter and bend it. (at the bottom, below the boot) You can customize it to exactly where you want it. I have a spare one around here somewhere I could sell you but it's really not worth it, they are easy to mod.

My brand new H55F is in and it makes my '60 run like a dream. I wonder why Toyota exported all the '60's to the US with a 4 speed?

Opinions I've read on here seem to think it was because of the 55 mph limit at the time, and the fact that lazy Americans wouldn't want to deal with the lower 1st gear and the increased shifter work.

x2 on the tricky 3rd gear. I only have about 800 miles on my 5-speed and 3rd is the toughest, particulalry downshifting as noted earlier. If I go slow from 1--2--3 and shift "lazily" it usually works OK.

I find for reverse if I simply shift right into it it works smoother more often then if I try another gear first.

I'd just heat up the shifter and bend it. (at the bottom, below the boot) You can customize it to exactly where you want it. I have a spare one around here somewhere I could sell you but it's really not worth it, they are easy to mod.

Yup, just heat and bend and put where you want, this is how they are made from the factory, if you pull the rubber boot off you will see the raw metal part that just begs to be heated and bent.
:cheers:
No reason to have a shifter that is not exactly where you want it.

Cool:

I'll take it into work and give her a bend.

Also downshifting from 5th into any other gear is a pain. Is there not a scyncro for 5th?? I have to double clutch and keep the engine rpm's up to shift from 5th into 4th.

Mark

I now have about 10K on my 5 speed and the 3rd gear issue does get better. I still have to wiggle it to get it to down shift into 3rd, but not as hard as it was originally. Getting it into 3rd is funky and always has been. I have to aim for the space between 3rd and 5th and then at the last second come back towards 3rd as if to duplicate the angle of coming from reverse. This is not a pain in the ass now that I have figured it out, but I just think it is odd.

Other than the funky shifting to 3rd issues I love my 5 speed!

Been there, done that

I had the same issue when I got my five speed, the shifter was off to the right as if I needed my passenger to do the shifting for me. You can heat it and bent it as has been mentioned, but I'd be concerned about melting the rubber that serves as a dampener beween the inner and outer part of the shifter. I cut mine and welded it which actually creates less heat build up.

I would second the third gear issue, I always seem to be fishing for that gear. I dumped the 4 speed shifter almost immediately and got the right one from Cdan. It was $100 or thereabouts.

I have never had any trouble getting an h55 into third but I've never owned one younger than 100,000km. I do know that my BJ70 with 550,000km shifts much better than my BJ74 with 200,000km. About the time that they really start shifting nicely they start jumping out of fifth and need a rebuild. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom