4wd ecgagement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still kind of new here but I could use some help. Just changed a front axle seal on my hjz77, it was changed from electric hubs to manual and now I have a problem with the 4wd. When the hubs are locked and I am at a dead stop 4wd will engage fine, but when I am driving it will not engage on the fly all I hear is grinding almost like one hub is not fully locked. Any ideas or am I pulling it apart again?

Your hubs are not engaging.

You need to make sure that you have installed the hub covers properly. The dial should say "unlock" or "2WD" depending on what you have, and the small clutch attached to the hub cover should be wound back tight against the cover.

Just because the light says 4WD, it does not mean that the front axle is engaged at the hubs. All the light indicates is that the transfer case is driving the front shaft.

~John

You still need the HUB LOCK Button on to get 4WD, because the ECU for the hubs does not know you have changed to manual hubs, are you doing this?

is there any way to change this if you have done a manual hub conversion?

The problem is you would need to dismantle the dash switch's,and do a link from the hub lock switch to the H2 switch. problely not worth the effort .
Use your HUB LOCK button light as an indacation that your hubs have been manually enguaged.
Disengauge the freewheel hubs then turn off the HUB LOCK button.

Last edited:
There is no direct link between the electric hubs and the hub lock switch, when you press the H4 button you will need to press the hub lock button first ( its a saftey thing to stop you from going into 4WD if the hubs arn't enguaged )

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. Lifted the front end today and the transfer case was not engaging. I seems to be ok now it was about -35c when I was having problems. Maybe because it engages off of vacuum? as far as the dash switches I have never had to push the hub lock switch always just 4wd, when I did this everything worked ok just the lights would not come on, but maybe I will start doing this as the lights do come on with the hub lock switch on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom