4L60E (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this REALLY the way I want to go?!
I stopped over at Levrett transmission today, and they were rather perplexed as to WHY I would go with the 4L60E as the trans choice for what I want to do with the rig...
Seems that BECAUSE it is electronically controlled this can yield more opportunity for burn out if everything isnt EXACTLY right with the wiring and computer interface.
They seemed to think that a non electronic control would be easier and a bit more fail safe. The biggest issue to get RIGHT on ,say, a 700R would be getting the cable adjusted correct, and even that can have sever consequences if not done properly.
I hate trannies!

Any comments to this?

K

The only thing I have to say about them is what I have been told.....and that is USE IT!!

If I could find a 5.3/4L60E, it would be in my 40 quick!

Derek and Tom at T-fab told me that if I want a motor/tranny combo that I want to keep and not worry about, it's that setup. One of them is using the 5.3, the other is using a 6.0 GM beast! And believe me, I saw them in action before, THEM CATS ARE MORE WIDE OPEN THAN I AM!!!

All of that being said, these guys are slapping them into rock buggies and the 4l60E is backed by an Atlas. I don't know about them in a trail/rock rig with the t-case doubler like yours is.

None of the cats in the 60 forum have any input on them??

Hmm... From what I know, which isn't much, either it works or it doesn't. I suspect what they're talking about is the tourque converter lockup control.

Thanks for the input.
Ive gotten a LOT of "that will be a GREAT set up" and the folks over at levrette tranny had been the only ones to question it.
I just got a little nervous when discussing it because I have a hard time screwing in a light bulb, let alone dealing with complex electrical issues associated with transmissions.

I hadnt posted in the 60 forum, but will.

K

Thanks for the input.
Ive gotten a LOT of "that will be a GREAT set up" and the folks over at levrette tranny had been the only ones to question it.
I just got a little nervous when discussing it because I have a hard time screwing in a light bulb, let alone dealing with complex electrical issues associated with transmissions.

I hadnt posted in the 60 forum, but will.

K
You might want to post in the hardcore forum too.

It'd be really nice to NOT have to deal with the electrical, but IIRC the biggest advantage to using the 4L60E is the better performance.
Its not like it hasnt been DONE numerous times, but that was a rather ominous reaction that I got from them on this set up...

Caused me some pause!

K

I'm not sure I understand what their deal is. If you are getting the computer reflashed, which you are, what could be the problem? The computer will/should take care of the tranny also, so the "wiring" should be all factory, right? That motor and tranny belong together.

Jack

I'm not sure I understand what their deal is. If you are getting the computer reflashed, which you are, what could be the problem? The computer will/should take care of the tranny also, so the "wiring" should be all factory, right? That motor and tranny belong together.

Jack

Yes!
Well, Ill be getting an aftermarket harness, but its all the same gear, same year etc. The two components came from different donors, but they are essentially the same, and yes, I will be having the computer reflashed. I guess the concern is that something in the computer MAY not reset right, or something along those lines...
I donno, but they had said they would call me back with more info and they never did.
I posted up in the 60 board, and got a few more..."I got that tranny and love it."..."Might wanna upgrade the clutch packs, this, that etc."
I donno...Ill just stick with the original shop quote from Transcraft.

K

Yes!
Well, Ill be getting an aftermarket harness, but its all the same gear, same year etc. The two components came from different donors, but they are essentially the same, and yes, I will be having the computer reflashed. I guess the concern is that something in the computer MAY not reset right, or something along those lines...
I donno, but they had said they would call me back with more info and they never did.
I posted up in the 60 board, and got a few more..."I got that tranny and love it."..."Might wanna upgrade the clutch packs, this, that etc."
I donno...Ill just stick with the original shop quote from Transcraft.

K

Yeah, I understood that the motor and tranny were from different vehicles, but as far as the computer is concerned, those two components "belong" together. Again, I fail to see the concern. GM spent millions on R&D on those two components "talking" to each other, so I have to ask again, what could be the problem? The wiring is still going to be factory for all intents and purposes.

Jack

Yeah, I understood that the motor and tranny were from different vehicles, but as far as the computer is concerned, those two components "belong" together. Again, I fail to see the concern. GM spent millions on R&D on those two components "talking" to each other, so I have to ask again, what could be the problem? The wiring is still going to be factory for all intents and purposes.

Jack

Are you thinking there might be a "fishy" smell from this inquiry?

k

Are you thinking there might be a "fishy" smell from this inquiry?

k

Maybe not so much as "fishy", I just don't understand what the problem is. I could see there being a problem if you were using an old carb motor and were relying on a "stand alone" computer to try and operate the tranny, but you are using all factory controls. I just don't get it.:confused:

You have to use a speed sensor for the motor to work, the ECU uses that information along with all of the other sensors on the motor to decide what the tranny needs to do. Again, I just don't see where there would be a problem. Once you have the computer reflashed, it is going to think it is running whatever year GM vehicle the motor/computer are.

Jack

Ya know, the MASS opinion is that there SHOULDN'T be an issue. That also makes sense to me as well...Im just gonna run it as planned. The post over on the 60 board is getting the same response from people who are RUNNING the same set up (virtually)...
They WERE supposed to "look into this" a bit more and get back to me...I still haven't heard from them.

Screw it.

Thanks Jack!

Ya know, the MASS opinion is that there SHOULDN'T be an issue. That also makes sense to me as well...Im just gonna run it as planned. The post over on the 60 board is getting the same response from people who are RUNNING the same set up (virtually)...
They WERE supposed to "look into this" a bit more and get back to me...I still haven't heard from them.

Screw it.

Thanks Jack!

That's what I'm talking about brother!!! It's still a cruiser at heart....if it breaks, SH!T'L BUFF OUT!!!!:steer:

I'm with Jack on the wiring and computer. Once you have the computer programed for the tranny and you use a good wiring harness, you'll be golden. By doing it that way your avoiding a bunch of issues that can pop up with cable and semi electrontic systems. What you've done would be my first choice in setups.:cheers:

I don't know if this will help or not. I put a 700 in my 60 and it lasted about 2 months. I was warned they can't handle the big tires and heat and all the stuff that comes along with offroading without a major after market build up. Instead of spending the money a rebuild of the 700 I opted for the TH400. I wish I had the over drive, but it has been 100% bullet proof. I can cruise down the hwy at 65 or 70. When I originally did this whole thing I asked about the 460 and 480 and the electronics was the only thing that kept me form going that route. I've been happy.Hope this helps. Good luck.

I don't know if this will help or not. I put a 700 in my 60 and it lasted about 2 months. I was warned they can't handle the big tires and heat and all the stuff that comes along with offroading without a major after market build up. Instead of spending the money a rebuild of the 700 I opted for the TH400. I wish I had the over drive, but it has been 100% bullet proof. I can cruise down the hwy at 65 or 70. When I originally did this whole thing I asked about the 460 and 480 and the electronics was the only thing that kept me form going that route. I've been happy.Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks.
Did you notice a performance loss from the TH400 and losing the OD?
I may be simplifying this, but it would seem that once you set the shifter up, it would seem that you just plug into the harness and youre good.
I guess that Ill find out within the next year.
Some have said that an up grade to the clutches is a good idea too...
CHA CHING, CHA CHING, CHA CHING.
Good thing Im not in a hurry.
(unless disaster strikes in the stock gear...):eek:

I'm with Jack on the wiring and computer. Once you have the computer programed for the tranny and you use a good wiring harness, you'll be golden. By doing it that way your avoiding a bunch of issues that can pop up with cable and semi electrontic systems. What you've done would be my first choice in setups.:cheers:

Thanks Shawn...
That helps too.
Weather you know it or not, You and Jack are gonna be helping me drop this thing in, so your opinion is helpful!:D

K

I just wish that I could tear into this myself and NOT have to take it in!!!!!:bang:

Thanks Shawn...
That helps too.
Weather you know it or not, You and Jack are gonna be helping me drop this thing in, so your opinion is helpful!:D

K

Just let me know when.:D

I just wish that I could tear into this myself and NOT have to take it in!!!!!:bang:

There are a lot of videos and books available. I'm just throwing that out there...

From what I understand, there a one or two specialized tools and then all you have to worry about is a clean work area, keep everything clean and organized.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom