4bt in 97 taco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got this hair brain idea that I want a 4bt in my 97 taco with a 2.7L, 4 banger.
I'm thinking either bellhousing adapter if avialable or run a 700r4 and a t-case adapter if the t-case will take it. If I run the stock tranny I've got to run different
different axle ratios as the 4bt doesn't rev half as high as the motor now, literally.

either that or throw a turbo on the motor I got cause I need more power.

Any info is aprecciated
and saying that I'm stupid and it will never work is not info

Thanks

In theory it sounds like a very good idea. The only problem I could potentially foresee is the sheer size of the 4bt. That is a pretty massive engine when compared to a 3RZ. Don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking you idea in the LEAST! I have thought about diesel power in my '00 Taco since it was new. The only 2 issues I have that have stopped me from doing it is the size issue and weight. The little Taco's front end does not respond very well to added weight IMHO. Even with OME heavy springs my front still sags with a bull bar and a winch. I couldn't imagine it with a 4bt under the hood too w/dual batteries! I have seen the 4bt in FJ60's before and it worked well, actually better than well...........but the 60 has leaf springs which are more easily tuned for extra weight than coils. So if you could fit a 4bt in a Taco somehow, the next order of business would be SAS with some pretty stiff springs to keep the front end off the ground. Oh, and with the 4bt's deep oil pan sump you would have to do the SAS to lose the front crossmember in the taco so that you could close the hood.

I have actually in all honesty been looking at late model VW diesel engines as swap canidates for the taco. I remember a few years back seeing a 1st gen. mini with a VW diesel in tellico, which got my mind working. The install was EXTREMELY clean and with toyota decals on the engine covers, it looked factory. That thing with duals and fr & rr lockers crawled it s ass off. Just some food for thought. If you do try a diesel swap, let me know, I am very interested!

Also, just thinking, what about a Mercedes-Benz Diesel? Those things will run on Windex damn near! One of those late 80's diesels, rebuilt, with a turbo, running off of veggie oil or biodiesel! That would rock! There is actually a guy where I live with a company called Deep Fried Rides who does those Mercedes conversions regularly and says they arent complicated at all. That would be one unique swap! Again, just thinking.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom