4BDT into a LJ73. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Threads
Hi All:

A buddy of mine bought a gray market LJ73 a couple years ago. Last Spring, on the way home from Moab the 2L-TE gave up the ghost, blowing oil everywhere.

We swapped in a 22R-E to get the rig back on the road, but he is un-impressed with both the power and fuel economy.

Now recently someone we know has a Cummins 4BDT for sale. The first thing that comes to mind to me is the need to shore-up the front suspension! :eek:

Anyone have any other comments as to whether this is possible swap or not?

Thanks much for your feedback!

Alan

well... first it's a 4BT (the 4BD1T is the Isuzu). The LJ73 has mini-truck axles, correct? and soft coil springs? You could probably use coils from an 80... honestly... that engine is loud. I'm mean LOUD. I sold my 4BT80 so i could get a factory toyota diesel... not cause i'm a purest or anything, but because it was just so frigg'n loud I just didn't like it. also, i'd be less concerned about the front suspension, and more concerned about the rest of the drivetrain. The rear 8" axle (is this right? they have the smaller rear axle) would really not hold up well to that torque monster. i'd lean more toward a 13BT.

Hey Alan!
Sorry I dont have anything to offer to answer your questions - But I have considered a 22RE swap if necessary in my Prado- I have been told its a pretty easy swap... your thoughts? I am prepared for a bit less power and truly arent that concerned with the mileage (had one before and I can live with it...)
Thanks!
T

Hi All:

"Tebo," my friend swapped a 22R-E in place of the 2L-TE that died in his LJ73. It went O.K. but he is not impressed with the power or fuel economy.

He is now thinking of doing a 3.0 Litre diesel swap into his rig!

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Alan!
Sorry I dont have anything to offer to answer your questions - But I have considered a 22RE swap if necessary in my Prado- I have been told its a pretty easy swap... your thoughts? I am prepared for a bit less power and truly arent that concerned with the mileage (had one before and I can live with it...)
Thanks!
T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom