454 vs. 455 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

andrew7elk said:
Does an Oldsmobile 455 have the same bolt bell housing pattern as a 454??

No

Butch

Would like to put a 1973 Olds 88 motor, maybe motor and trany into 1983 FJ 60.

Has this been done and what should will I require ?

Thanks
dale7elk

VTFJ40 said:
The tranny should be a TH350. Adapter to a stock trans is available.

If it's a 455, it should be a Turbo 400.
Still adaptable though.
Butch

IIRC the 455 is way lighter than a 454. Like 200 lbs lighter, if my memory serves.

EDIT: I did some checking and 454 should weigh something like 685 lbs without accessories.... 455 should weigh something around 620 lbs without accessories. Not 200 lbs different. 65 lbs difference.

Last edited:
Just to add

BOP and cad

Some adapter bellhousings etc... are double drilled with many patterns.

Th400 is stock, th350 can be used just needs the right pattern.

Not specific, but there is one to th400, havent looked at the 4L80E. I imagine they are the
same.

I have an BOP manual trans bellhousing that the circle hole is the size of a sm420. Just for the insanity. I looked into a 455 in my old 40 series, had the motor, trans, and was working on the clutch when I changed my mind. Look for exhaust manifolds from a 442 that way you have dual exhaust and not that f'd up cross over tube to the other manifold.

LOL,

Just somemore tid bits,

earlier the better.
manual crank is harder to find (not many are drilled to accept a pilot)
Starter sides flip, ie depending on what engine and size, starter can be on pass or driver.

I have never seen a driverside starter ( 455 olds) BOP bell with sm420 index. I do and have a passenger side starter for sm420, old buick style. might go blowproof bell.

exhaust manifolds, run stockers, cap the crossover in the pass manifold (weld plate and bolt it back up) and run duals, or if tight application just run crossover and single. True dual olds manifolds, are too expensive, and worth to much to use, IMO. Boat headers/manifolds could be played with. Regular car headers could be made to fit, and there is a company that makes block hugger style headers for olds < think sanderson?

DId i mention i have several early 350s and 455s olds engines, and my next building of cruiser will more then likely get a 455 :)

Definitely not an expert, but I do know a little about the Olds 455’s. As for exhaust manifolds, you can do what HI^C suggests or you can buy true 2.5” duel reproduction manifolds now for right at $200 (try Tamraz @ 800-442-4601). Also with bell housings you can modify a Chevy bell housing to accept a BOP bolt patter quite easy (just by moving a dowel and drilling a hole if memory serves me correctly).

The good thing about the Olds is you can still pick up a running motor from a junk yard or even eBay relatively inexpensively and they are Torque monsters right from the factory.

I am curios though has anybody actually installed one in cruiser? If so how was the install? I would think the big worry would be width, I know a 455 is shorter and not as tall as a 2F so the only question is if it’s too wide.

Chevy bell will not work on a 455 olds, driverside starter. chevys run passenger. most of your true BOP bells have double starter dimples for pass or driver.

$200 each or pair?

installed, there is two 350 olds cruisers running around, i guy i talked with around me has a 472
cad in his.

Hmmm my bad on the chevy to BOP bell, it must have been something else I was remembering...

$200 a pair, you can get them on ebay for $250 "buy it now" or call them and by them for $200. lol

I wonder, a 350 Olds is quite a bit narrower than a 455 once you get all the way out to the vavle covers. I'm sure you could "make it fit" but wondering how much cuting would be required. Hell it's got to be easier than putting a Chevy 350 in a mini and I've helped do that before.

Things are looking OK
Starter on Drivers side. TB 400
Fits inside but tight at the exhaust. Would like to keep stock cross over exhaust for now.
1973 455 is one of the worst years for HP, but for now I think it will work.
I would like to position the motor and trans so that the transfercase is 1 in forward of stock. I have done a leaf over and a shackle reversal which has changed the drive shaft positioning. This , I think
will require me to remove fan and add 2 electric fans ?
Any body have and experience with electric fans ? Junk yard solutions ?
I think that I have figured out the motor mounting ? Should know shortly.

Fiddlemeister said:
Things are looking OK
Starter on Drivers side. TB 400
1973 455 is one of the worst years for HP, but for now I think it will work.

This may not be true. IIRC it was around 1973 when US manufacturers went from a bulk HP rating (at the flywheel) to a net HP rating (at the rear wheels). So sometimes the HP didnt change much but the rating system looks like it is a LOT less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom