40 owner, help in NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also here are some pics to base it off of.
IMG_7562small.jpg

If you are going to get into it then I would just order an entire front end rebuild kit and sign up for a HAMOM (Help a member of the month)

I would suggest any of the local vendors here on the forum.

Spector Off Road
Man-a-Fre
Cruiser Outfitters
Even some of the members (Orange45)

Let me know if you need any help with that.

This is what I am pulling up. Are these the right kits???

Cruiser Outfitters
Knuckle Rebuild Kits - Drum Axle - Sale Price $90.00
Toyota solid front axle knuckle rebuild kits, one required per axle. Includes seals, gaskets, shims and Koyo trunnion/knuckle bearings.
(Fits 69'-9/75' FJ40/55)
Part# FA6975

SOR
Front Wheel Bearing Kit-
Fits 1958-9/75-Comes with inner & outer wheel bearings, wheel seals, lock tabs, & hub gaskets-Does both sides- Regular List Price is $ 144.90

Brian

seems like you are on track i will verify for sure later this evening. may want to consider disc brakes on the front if you are going to tear her down to rebuild.

Keep your business w/ Cruiser Outfitters - Good service, good prices, plus a Mud supporter. That's where I bought my kit.

R

Ok went with Cruiser outfitters. Part is ordered so my memorial day weekend is shaping up. I'm sitting down this week with my Haynes manual so I'll keep y'all updated on the progress.

Ok just finished reading up in the Haynes manual to see if I will need any special tools and to get an idea how long this will take. Looks like it is an afternoon job. Sound about right?? The other question is about the bearings. I haven't recieved the rebuild kit yet. I usually hear people that have done this talking about "packing the bearings". The manual did not make a reference to this. Am I missing something? I also hear about needing a hub puller. It looks like I don't need any special tools for this. Is that correct??

Not a "hub puller", but you'll need a hub socket. It's a thin-walled huge socket to pull the hub nut. Couple of folks in the club have one, but if you want your own, several LC vendors sell it for about $20. I, personally, do not own one.

R

Not a "hub puller", but you'll need a hub socket. It's a thin-walled huge socket to pull the hub nut. Couple of folks in the club have one, but if you want your own, several LC vendors sell it for about $20. I, personally, do not own one.

R

Thanks. Is there any chance Advanced or one of the parts stores would have one or is it Toyota specific??

I couldn't find one at any autoparts store locally, so I wound up borrowing it from a club member. I know with gas like it is, it would cost more to drive to Raleigh, but if you wanted to borrow one just post up and I'm sure someone will chime in. I think StrongToy has one and KC, but not sure who else.

R

Plus, if this is your fist time I would plan on at least a full day and a messy driveway!

Last edited:
looks like it is a go for this weekend. The rebuild kit came yesterday and if some of the other rebuild threads are correct I can use a 54 socket as the hub socket.

I have some GP grease for the lube points. Is there a recomended grease that some of you have used for packing the bearings? Also some of the threads suggested using kerosene for cleaning the parts. Is this best or should I get some other sort of solvent?

From another thread, I pulled some suggested torques for the bolts when I reassemble. Don't have a gauge. How critical are these going to be?

Any other suggestions or words of wisdom??

The 54mm socket needs to be fairly thin-walled to fit in there. You will see once you have the hub off. Worst-sase scenario, a lot of folks have used the ole' hammer and flat-blade screwdriver method to loosen/tighten that nut, but I wouldn't want to do it that way (however, the last person that serviced my 40 had left evidence that is how they did it).

Kero works fine, but get a few cans of brake cleaner...that stuff works great!

Good luck, and post up if you run into any realtime issues.

R

:bang:

Ever feel like you are in over your head. Man... I have pulled everything off back past the brake drum. It takes forever to get this stuff clean. The old seals are like glue on the parts. Still trying to see if I have the needed parts. I know that I need a felt part to replace one I had to remove. Also not seeing seals I need. I also have some parts that I have not encountered yet (some sort of overlapping ring halves and a felt peice as well as some small bearings that came in the set. For a vetran, I'm sure this may sound pretty dumb). While I have the brakes pulled apart do I need to go ahead and break them down and clean them??

Ok did some more research and I have to go further back for the bearings I have on hand. Still not matching everything up.

Where are you at Brother ?

I will send you a PM with my #. Give me a shout and i will try to head your way if you are still having questions. I am tearing my front axle apart completely today to install a new locker.

Are we ready yet to get this thing back together yet ?

Give me a shout when you get all of the stuff.

Brian,

I just saw your thread. I'm in the Raeford area, just off of 401 by the new wind tunnels. I have a '72 FJ40 that has a '77 2F in it. I just did a SOA, spring flip and added power steering. While I was doing the cut and turn I rebuilt the front axle. A few years ago I did a FDB conversion. Currently, I am looking for a new head to replace mine. I had a blown head gasket and then found out the head had three cracks in it. If you still dont have your Haynes, I have one, plus I have a Toyota 2F Engine Manual and a Toyota '71 Chassis and Body Manual. Call me if you need a hand!! I'll PM you my number.

Mike

Darn Mike, I am just a few stones throw from you also then. I am over by Rockfish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom