4 wheel drive? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
somtimes,well most of the time after wheeling in 4 wheel hi/lo and i get back to the pavement i shift it back into 2 wheel drive but somtimes i cant shift it back into it... i unlock the hubs and pull out still in 4 wheel hi go about 100 ft then i can shift back into 2wheel hi is this a major problem or should i not worry?

mine does that all the time...the shift collar for 4wd gets bound up and won't pop loose...I've always assumed it was normal

I wouldn't worry about it either. It might help to shift to 2wd before you get on the pavement.

an easier fix:

when you get ready to go back down, go in reverse for a couple of tire rotations, then shift. i forget why this works, something about some things doin something :flipoff2:

jonathan

When locked in 4WD, the drivetrain is forcing the front & rear axles to rotate at the same rate. The differential on an axle can compensate for the different turn rates of the two tires on that axle...like when you go around a corner. Unfortunately, there isn't a differential to allow this to happen between the front & rear axles (Subaru's vehicles have 3 differentials for this reason).

End result is that the drivetrain ends up getting a ton of "back-pressure" built up throughout the system. This pressure jams the teeth of the gears together, and makes it virtually impossible to get out of 4WD. And, in some cases, you may be able to get it out of 4WD, but the gears will remain jammed together...thus leaving you in 4WD.

To alleviate this pressure, all you have to do is simply drive in reverse a little distance. The reverse rotation helps disperse this back-pressure & allows one to easily shift back into 2WD. The distance to drive is highly debated...some swear a couple tire rotations while others will swear you have to go 100 feet. I personally have found that a couple vehicle lenghts in reverse will always alleviate the back-pressure...whereas a couple feet may/may not do the trick.

Hope that all makes sense...heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom