3rd Gen 4R, GX470, 4th Gen 4R or 5th Gen SR5? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JcrewLC

SILVER Star
Threads
Which one would you pick and why?

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD with lock
2004 4Runner limited
2005 GX470 no KDSS
2010 4Runner SR5 4WD

It all depends on what’s the purpose and budget. For me, exploration and over landing don’t require much.

2000 is too old but is that a rear locker or a center lock?

The only thing I wish I had on my V8 GX470 is a rear 8.2” oem e-locker.

From your list, none fit my bill but I would go with the platform i know and that’s the 2005 GX470.

So purpose would be a weekend warrior for camping/overland rig. Nothing crazy as I don’t want to have to crawl crazy rocks. It would be an adventure vehicle for me and my son as we go camping and fishing.

and for the 3rd gen locker. It would be the oem locker that comes with the limited.

I haven’t found anything specific but whatever I get I plan to get something under 150k in miles and condition around 7 out of 10 at a minimum

GX470

Agree with Homer. All I'm missing is a 2010+, 8.2, 3.73 FJ complete rear axle with OEM e locker.

Plus the GX470 is helpful in my experience in getting the GF to join in the adventure because she is not down with Army style Spartan camping. I guess she influenced me to get the GX because she appreciates the interior, and relative quietness/ride of GX. I was set on getting a 4runner but then I realized the GX was not much more and i could find ones owned by soccar moms that maintained the heck out of them.

For what you have described your use as, the GX or 4th gen 4Runner would probably be the best fit. I wouldn’t throw the 5th gen into that line up. The price point makes for a much less even comparison.

That said, if you have any desire to wheel a little more, the 3rd gen would serve you better. If I did not need the towing power of the GX, I would have stuck with my 3rd gen.

My son loves his ’98, and it lacks the locker. Depending on the mileage (his has 255k), and whether it has the 3.4l motor, the 3rd gen could be a good buy, leaving $ for mods.

I use mine as a daily driver as well as a weekend warrior rig and the creature comforts + V8 make the GX a winner for me (unless you find a really good V8 4R). Gas mileage will be more or less the same across platforms, might as well have a V8.

GX - because V8, good head room (I'm 6'3"), 3rd row that is easily removed, comfy interior, cheaper than same year 4runner, did I mention V8?

I use my 2005 GX470 for camping and overlanding and some aggressive trails but no rockcrawling. The only thing I wished is that it had better mpg. I get 16 on the freeway ( I have 35s and re-geared). That would be the most comfortable and roomy one on your list, and likely, the most powerful engine.

I am going to get flamed for this but if I were to just do camping/overlanding exclusively I would get a Subie. Much better mileage, and very capable.

If you are going down the path of better gas mileage and don’t need the cargo room nor the towing power, then i like the 2021 prime hybrid rav4! Lol

I personally like the way the GX470 looks and I’ve seen a few lifted and built GX470s around town.

I also like the stealth look, but my Gobi ladder and my front fog lights are making me stand out too much! Lol

Definitely won’t need it for any towing. And outside of the mpg, the GX would be perfect.

which is the ideal year for the GX470’s? I’m reading no nav with KDSS? Is that the black wood trim on the dash? they’re hard to cone by in excellent low miles

Definitely won’t need it for any towing. And outside of the mpg, the GX would be perfect.

which is the ideal year for the GX470’s? I’m reading no nav with KDSS? Is that the black wood trim on the dash? they’re hard to cone by in excellent low miles

What do you consider low miles? Well cared for, they last a long time, and the 2UZ-FE engine is very reliable. It's a price trade-off. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a well-priced 200K GX with clean records.

Last edited:
What do you consider low miles? Well cared for, they last a long time, and the 2UZ-FE engine is very reliable. It's a price trade-off. I would hesitate to buy a well-priced 200K GX with clean records.

i think you mean you WOULDN’T hesitate

Ideally a well cared for under 150k with all service records and great interior

I did a similar comparison when I was replacing my second Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, albeit a bit different since I was needing something with a third row. I decided on the GX470 mainly because it gave the best bang for the buck, since I could use it not only for hauling the family around the woods but also for towing my cargo trailer and quad. Added to that was the improved comfort over the 4Runner, plus the fact that in the central midwest (where I was living at the time) the GX was the cheaper option compared to a third row-equipped 4Runner.

Like the others, I wish it had the 8.2 with the locker from the factory, but that's just a hard one to let go of once you have it. Really, the GX gives a lot for the money, even if one of the things it doesn't give is fuel efficiency.

I upgraded from a 1996 4Runner 4x4 w/elocker to a 2007 GX this past April and I have been very happy. Gas mileage is pretty close, both trucks I am around 16 with the 3rd gen doing the upper end of 16 and the GX the lower end. Safety, ride comfort, passenger seating, and power are vastly improved with the GX! I did want the V8 for towing though, which it does MUCH better than the 3rd gen.

I also chose the GX over the 4th gen because I wanted the V8, 3rd row, and side airbags and I just wasn't finding it in the 4runner. Plus the GX has a bunch of extras over the 4runner.

I dont have much experience with the 5th gen, but price is generally higher, probably better MPG, possibly better safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom