3L (2.8D) oil consumption (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
250k on the engine. Getting a lot of white smoke. Have just topped up, nominally 1.25 litres in 2250km. Has always used some oil, possibly no less than today, but the heavy smoke is relatively recent. Is this consumption excessive? I think the issue is oil consumption and as far as I can tell the odour is of oil, but a lot of online info mentions injector issues causing the white smoke. It's prevalent under power and particularly if idling, say at traffic lights, then I drive off. Of course it could just be more noticeable then as speed is low, so it hangs around. I tried 20w 50 and this almost eliminated the smoke, but only for around 1,800km. What is likely the next course of action?

If you do a lot of city driving and dont take it out on the hwy from time to time the piston rings will carbon
up and cause loss of compression and oil consumption. Try putting some Power Service or Stanadyne in the fuel tank
and running it hard out on the open road for a couple hrs. See if that clears it up before trying the the more complicated
expensive trouble shooting.

250k on the engine. Getting a lot of white smoke. Have just topped up, nominally 1.25 litres in 2250km. Has always used some oil, possibly no less than today, but the heavy smoke is relatively recent. Is this consumption excessive? I think the issue is oil consumption and as far as I can tell the odour is of oil, but a lot of online info mentions injector issues causing the white smoke. It's prevalent under power and particularly if idling, say at traffic lights, then I drive off. Of course it could just be more noticeable then as speed is low, so it hangs around. I tried 20w 50 and this almost eliminated the smoke, but only for around 1,800km. What is likely the next course of action?

Also, there is a little filter in the valve cover that can be removed and cleaned. If it gets sludged up, more oil is pushed out the crank breather into the intake and burned that way. Apparently there was a recall for this on the early 3L in 89-90 or so for this problem. I actually bought a whole new 3L valve cover for my 2LTE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom