3FE high idle help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey.

So my 1991 FJ80 is having some high idle in park but changes to the correct idle in drive.

I have swapped out my TPS thinking it was faulty and correctly set it with feeler gauges. , changed the O2 sensors, adjusted the timing (as best as I could, it was difficult to see the sight window), Adjusted the "brass screw" as far as it can go clockwise.

Starting to run out of ideas. If anyone has any knowledge they would like to share, or would want to come poke and prod at the engine, please feel free to send me a message or respond.

Thanks,
Alex

Does yours idle higher when you start it up cold and slow down when it warms up?

Mine starts up at 1000-1200 and stays there regardless of temp. As soon as I put it in gear it drops to normal idle range. I also installed a tps and set it per fsm but think I may revisit that.

It's most probably 1 of 2 things.
Either the cold enrichment (like a choke on a carb) or a vacuum leak.
Lots of vacuum lines to check, a small crack will make it idle high.

I had the same issue when I bought mine, would lurch when I put in in Drive. While attempting to adjust the TPS, found the TPS was not snapping to the idle position fully, needed to remove it to notice this. Removed, cleaned thoroughly, reassembled... Also found the PCV valve caked up with crud.

Also make sure your throttle cables (both pedal and hand) are routed correctly, once I had moved mine to work on something else and forgot to reseat it in the bracket... I had a high idle for the next 2 days until I realized what I had done.

Last edited:
Great ideas, I’ll look into them. Thanks
Did you get it sorted out? just found my old post about high idle on 3FE, maybe it will help:

Good suggestions! I have not fixed mine yet. but I did remove the TB and it was very clean. I replaced the TPS sensor and clocked it per FSM. , I'll have to check the PVC valve, IAC valve, and dashpot.

Thanks for the suggestions!

After the changes, did you have to readjust the brass screw at all? or did you leave it all the way in like it was?

Success! I finally had a chance to rebase the cruiser.

- I started off retiming the FJ80 per the FSM (I used a mirror from harbor freight to allow me to see the dimple in the flex plate. I realized that I was looking at the flex plate bolt before hand.)
- I then cleaned the IAC valve with brake cleaner then reinstalled.
- I removed the Throttle body and reset the TPS per the FSM. I used two multimeters to verify the correct position.
- I replaced the throttle body, cleaning all the surfaces really well.
- I adjusted the brass screw out 1/2 a turn.
- I then retimed the FJ80 again per the FSM.

The idle is much lower, hovering around 700 in park and neutral and it drops down to 650 in drive. I took it on a quick drive and the response is much better, the idles stayed lower, and I am a happy camper.

I need to dive into mine. Hopefully this week. I was going to start with my timing then tps. Was there a big difference in the valve clearance on the second retime? Awesome response

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom