3FE Battery/Charging issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I try to explain this as clearly as I can. I'm having charging issues. I purchased my 3FE about 3 months ago and it's had this issue since buying it, but I've manage to have opportunities to drive it around.

1. Battery was new when I purchased the 80 (also had it tested and tested good)
2. Lights (power in general) don't seem to be at full power and brighten up on throttle.
3. When my turn signals are on the battery meter flickers up and down. This is all the time, whether the battery is fully charged or low. Meter hovers above halfway mark on the meter...I'd say around 12v. (I do not have a multimeter at this time)

4. I drove all day the other day from location to location running errands. Started fine most of the time. After driving up the mountain back home, as soon as I arrived home the 80 shut off when I put it in park and was dead. I left it parked and did nothing until morning. In the morning it started right up.

I've noticed that there have been times where I've had to turn the key a few times while the battery work up (if that makes sense) before it would actually start to turn over and start, which seems weird in itself. If I would turn the key the first time, nothing would happen....dead, then a second time a little something...lights start to glow on the dash, and then a third and forth time it would start to wake up, and then eventually start.

5. Alternator appears to have been replaced fairly recently but that doesn't mean it's not the culprit.
6. FWIW - All belts are new.
7. Cables and and grounds are clean. Battery posts/terminals are clean secured well.
8. Starter is fine I imagine, since at full charge it starts just fine.
9. There's a factory security system that I'd like to disable. Not sure if this could be some of the issue with the system but I figured I'd mention it.

I don't believe I have a parasitic draw issue but that's not to say there isn't. It's just strange. I've had the battery dead after sitting for a week. Other times it's fine. Or like I mentioned above, the 80 seems to run the battery down to death after errands, but the next day it will start.

I figured I would ask before I pull the alternator and have it tested, but that might be what I need to do. From what I've been reading (if I do need to replace it) folks have been suggesting the factory replacement. I'm open to other suggestions as to who (Napa, oreilly's, Toyota etc) provides the best replacement.

Hopefully clear enough and not to much to read through.

This sounds like more than 1 problem to me.
You should verify the battery/alternator with a multimeter as a first step.
Fully charged battery at rest (motor off) should read about 12.7 VDC across the terminals.
Engine running, you should see about 14.4 VDC across the terminals.

Intermittent start could be a failing fusible link or failing contacts in the starter, faulty ignition switch, faulty neutral start switch, or simply a bad connection.
Again, a multimeter will reveal all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom